src file naming convention?

Nobody

sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).

I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3 convention. I
am now adding some collection classes. The typical library convention for
naming files is something like:

header ==> sfxmem.h
source ==> memory.cpp

where multiple memory classes are thrown into.

if the source spans multiple files, it is something like:

header ==> sfxfiles.h
source ==> files1.cpp, files2.cpp, etc.

obviously for my collection classes I would follow this convention with:

header ==> sfxcoll.h

but I am having a difficult time (yes I am obsessive compulsive) coming up
with what I think is a normal looking .cpp name.

these are some examples I have come up with:

collect.cpp
collect1.cpp
collect2.cpp
coll1.cpp
coll2.cpp
coll.cpp
colls.cpp
collectn.cpp

this last one seems kind of too cryptic... the other filenames have names
like apihook.cpp, menu.cpp, split.cpp, toolhelp.cpp, ie. none of the other
source files use something cryptic like that. and coll/colls... you look at
that, you have no dang clue what it is.

So I am kind of leaning towards "collect.cpp" right now, but that kind of
bothers me since it sounds like its collecting something rather then
collections of something.

any other ideas?

Jumbo

Nobody said:
[...]

What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

Mike Wahler

Jumbo @uko2.co.uk> said:
Nobody said:
sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).

I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3
convention.

[snip]
these are some examples I have come up with:

collect.cpp
collect1.cpp
collect2.cpp
coll1.cpp
coll2.cpp
coll.cpp
colls.cpp
collectn.cpp
[snip]

What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

-Mike

Victor Bazarov

Mike Wahler said:
Jumbo @uko2.co.uk> said:
Nobody said:
sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).

I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3
convention.

[snip]
these are some examples I have come up with:

collect.cpp
collect1.cpp
collect2.cpp
coll1.cpp
coll2.cpp
coll.cpp
colls.cpp
collectn.cpp
[snip]

What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

Aw, come on, it could be "Jumbo" never heard of 8.3 convention...

Jumbo

Victor Bazarov said:
Mike Wahler said:
Jumbo @uko2.co.uk> said:
sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).

I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3 convention.

[snip]

these are some examples I have come up with:

collect.cpp
collect1.cpp
collect2.cpp
coll1.cpp
coll2.cpp
coll.cpp
colls.cpp
collectn.cpp
[snip]

What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

Aw, come on, it could be "Jumbo" never heard of 8.3 convention...

Geneva convention perhaps but no not 8.3 convention. I didn't know what he
was talking about :)

Mike Wahler

Jumbo @uko2.co.uk> said:
Geneva convention perhaps but no not 8.3 convention. I didn't know what he
was talking about :)

Your message
, dated 1/24/04,
indicates otherwise. :)