src file naming convention?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Nobody, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).

    I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3 convention. I
    am now adding some collection classes. The typical library convention for
    naming files is something like:

    header ==> sfxmem.h
    source ==> memory.cpp

    where multiple memory classes are thrown into.

    if the source spans multiple files, it is something like:

    header ==> sfxfiles.h
    source ==> files1.cpp, files2.cpp, etc.

    obviously for my collection classes I would follow this convention with:

    header ==> sfxcoll.h

    but I am having a difficult time (yes I am obsessive compulsive) coming up
    with what I think is a normal looking .cpp name.

    these are some examples I have come up with:

    collect.cpp
    collect1.cpp
    collect2.cpp
    coll1.cpp
    coll2.cpp
    coll.cpp
    colls.cpp
    collectn.cpp

    this last one seems kind of too cryptic... the other filenames have names
    like apihook.cpp, menu.cpp, split.cpp, toolhelp.cpp, ie. none of the other
    source files use something cryptic like that. and coll/colls... you look at
    that, you have no dang clue what it is.

    So I am kind of leaning towards "collect.cpp" right now, but that kind of
    bothers me since it sounds like its collecting something rather then
    collections of something.

    any other ideas?
    Nobody, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Nobody

    Jumbo Guest

    "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).
    >
    > I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3 convention.

    > am now adding some collection classes. The typical library convention for
    > naming files is something like:
    >
    > header ==> sfxmem.h
    > source ==> memory.cpp
    >
    > where multiple memory classes are thrown into.
    >
    > if the source spans multiple files, it is something like:
    >
    > header ==> sfxfiles.h
    > source ==> files1.cpp, files2.cpp, etc.
    >
    > obviously for my collection classes I would follow this convention with:
    >
    > header ==> sfxcoll.h
    >
    > but I am having a difficult time (yes I am obsessive compulsive) coming up
    > with what I think is a normal looking .cpp name.
    >
    > these are some examples I have come up with:
    >
    > collect.cpp
    > collect1.cpp
    > collect2.cpp
    > coll1.cpp
    > coll2.cpp
    > coll.cpp
    > colls.cpp
    > collectn.cpp
    >
    > this last one seems kind of too cryptic... the other filenames have names
    > like apihook.cpp, menu.cpp, split.cpp, toolhelp.cpp, ie. none of the other
    > source files use something cryptic like that. and coll/colls... you look

    at
    > that, you have no dang clue what it is.
    >
    > So I am kind of leaning towards "collect.cpp" right now, but that kind of
    > bothers me since it sounds like its collecting something rather then
    > collections of something.
    >
    > any other ideas?

    What's wrong with collection.cpp ?
    Jumbo, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Nobody

    Nobody Guest

    I said I wanted to stick to the 8.3 convention that the rest of the library
    uses.

    Nobody, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Nobody

    Jumbo Guest

    "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > I said I wanted to stick to the 8.3 convention that the rest of the

    library
    > uses.

    ok sorry.
    Jumbo, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Nobody

    Mike Wahler Guest

    > "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > > sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of :).
    > >
    > > I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3

    convention.

    [snip]

    > > these are some examples I have come up with:
    > >
    > > collect.cpp
    > > collect1.cpp
    > > collect2.cpp
    > > coll1.cpp
    > > coll2.cpp
    > > coll.cpp
    > > colls.cpp
    > > collectn.cpp

    [snip]

    > What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

    Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jan 24, 2004
  6. "Mike Wahler" <> wrote...
    > "Jumbo @uko2.co.uk>" <pcr1000011<nospam> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nobody" <> wrote in message
    > > > sorry if this is OT, not sure if it is since it is a C++ q, sort of

    :).

    > > > I am working on a C++ library where all the files use the 8.3

    > convention.

    > [snip]
    >
    > > > these are some examples I have come up with:
    > > >
    > > > collect.cpp
    > > > collect1.cpp
    > > > collect2.cpp
    > > > coll1.cpp
    > > > coll2.cpp
    > > > coll.cpp
    > > > colls.cpp
    > > > collectn.cpp

    > [snip]
    >
    > > What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

    > Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

    Aw, come on, it could be "Jumbo" never heard of 8.3 convention...
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Nobody

    Jumbo Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote...
    > > "Jumbo @uko2.co.uk>" <pcr1000011<nospam> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Nobody" <> wrote in message

    > :).

    > > convention.

    > > [snip]

    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > > What's wrong with collection.cpp ?

    > > Um, perhaps the fact that you apparently cannot count? :)

    > Aw, come on, it could be "Jumbo" never heard of 8.3 convention...

    Geneva convention perhaps but no not 8.3 convention. I didn't know what he
    was talking about :)
    Jumbo, Jan 25, 2004
  8. Nobody

    Mike Wahler Guest

    > > Aw, come on, it could be "Jumbo" never heard of 8.3 convention...
    > >

    > Geneva convention perhaps but no not 8.3 convention. I didn't know what

    he
    > was talking about :)

    Your message
    news: , dated 1/24/04,