SSL help?

Dud Hershey

I'm trying to read SSL certificate properties with HttpClient, or any other
method whatsoever that would allow use of proxies to investigate SSL
certificates, so feel free to give any suggestions if you have any :)

To my surprise I haven't found any such example by googling around, so I was
wondering if there exists a reasonable way to do this "online", or should I
always try to get the certficiate file and examine that to verify certain
properties that I want to check, such as certificate expiration date and
fingerprint etc.

There are also some issues with self-signed certificates that the querying
server doesn't trust, so these should have to be some kind of go-around
method for these cases as well. The result usually is, and should be, an
exception if connection is made to such server. There is no "yes, I accept"
override that I'm aware of?