stack frame size on linux/solaris of a running application stack

Surinder Singh

Hi,

what would be max stack frame size (of single frame) on Linux and
Solaris/x86 of a running application stack?

I am compiling c program with gcc on Suse 10 Linux kernel
2.6.13-15.13-default i386 centrino processor.
gcc version -- 4.0.2

I have some 8KB structure (+ more data ) in a function and gcc with
-fstack-check option gives warning about it.

An obvious alternative is to malloc the data structure and pass on the
pointer between functions.

Thanks
- Surinder

Richard Bos

Surinder Singh said:
what would be max stack frame size (of single frame) on Linux and
Solaris/x86 of a running application stack?

ISO C (which is the subject of this newsgroup) says nothing whatsoever
about that. Ask this question in Linux and Solaris newsgroups. Do not be
surprised if the answer is "it depends".

Richard