Standalone application - mpeg-4 support

dsl

Hello all,

I apologize for what will probably be a basic question. I need to
create a tool that could be run from a windows and mac platform. I
have windows a colleague has mac. First off, I know little about
Java, but am familiar with .NET and Actionscript/FLEX. When a program
is compiled in those environments with a 3rd party addition, the 3rd
party addition is packaged with it. I know that simplifies it. As I
understand with Java, if you include a 3rd party jar file then this
may be included with the application. Again, I know that simplifies
things. Where I'm not certain is if you are using Java Media
Framework for example, can the needed files be packaged with the
application, or does Java Media Framework need to be installed along
with the Java installation? Or, if using something like FMJ and
FFMPEG-Java, which is a wrapper for FFMPEG, do these need to be
installed on the machine by the user?

Basically I'm looking for a simple way to include mpeg-4 encode/decode
support in this tool without having to install several additional
programs.

Thank you,
David

Roedy Green

Basically I'm looking for a simple way to include mpeg-4 encode/decode
support in this tool without having to install several additional
programs.

JMF is not part of the JRE, so either you would have to bundle the JMF
classes you need in your app jar, or install JMF, or bundle the JMF
jar and get it on the classpath. Java Web Start is perhaps the
easiest way to manage multiple jars. You can also use the manifest
Class-Path. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jar.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html