Standard Python 2.4 module like "crypt" for Windows?

dananrg

Is there a module available in the standard library, for Python 2.4
running on Windows, like "crypt" for Python 2.4 running on *nix
machines?

I need to store database passwords in a Python 2.4 script, but
obviously don't want them in clear text.

I'm looking for a reasonable level of security. What are some of my
options?

Also wondering if, for PythonWin, there is a module that will display
asterisks rather than echo entered passwords in clear text. I see I
have access to the getpass module, but I can't get it to work--it
still echos typed-in passwords to the screen as clear text.

Martin v. Löwis

Is there a module available in the standard library, for Python 2.4
running on Windows, like "crypt" for Python 2.4 running on *nix
machines?

I can't try right now, but I would expect that the Cygwin python
distribution has a crypt implementation.

If you want a crypt implementation for the python.org distribution,
the easiest (but perhaps not fastest) solution would be to use
fcrypt.

Regards,
Martin