Starting Threads

K. R.

Hi @all
I've many different threads to run parallel. Some of these have a
special feature. At the starttime, I decide with a variable, which
threads must sleep for 5 ms. The others can start now.

How can I realize this problem??

thanks...

Michael Linfield

K. R. said:
Hi @all
I've many different threads to run parallel. Some of these have a
special feature. At the starttime, I decide with a variable, which
threads must sleep for 5 ms. The others can start now.

How can I realize this problem??

thanks...

Thread.new # Look up some uses for it based on what your doing.

as for the variable... wait = sleep(5)

# i assume you meant 5 secs and not 5 milliseconds because i believe
that you cant sleep under 1 second if i remember correctly as sleep does
not allow sleep(0.05)

7

7stud --

K. R. said:
Hi @all
I've many different threads to run parallel. Some of these have a
special feature. At the starttime, I decide with a variable, which
threads must sleep for 5 ms. The others can start now.

How can I realize this problem??

thanks...

Try something like this:

x = 1
threads = []

10.times do |i|
threads << Thread.new(x) do |my_var|
if my_var < 5
my_var = 10
sleep(0.05)
end

puts "thread #{i} executing"
end
end

threads.each do |thr|
thr.join
end

--output:--
thread 4 executing
thread 3 executing
thread 2 executing
thread 1 executing
thread 0 executing
thread 9 executing
thread 8 executing
thread 7 executing
thread 6 executing
thread 5 executing

Joel VanderWerf

Michael Linfield wrote:
that you cant sleep under 1 second if i remember correctly as sleep does
not allow sleep(0.05)

It does: ruby's #sleep calls select() in that case.

ara.t.howard

Hi @all
I've many different threads to run parallel. Some of these have a
special feature. At the starttime, I decide with a variable, which
threads must sleep for 5 ms. The others can start now.

How can I realize this problem??

threads aren't quite that deterministic - you may find some without
sleep take longer to start that the ones with the 5ms sleep. what
are you trying to do that requires such strict timing constraints?

regards.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/