static class member initialization

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

I have got a problem with the initialization of a static class member
of a singleton class.
The class shows (short) :

class myPluginUse {

public :

template<typename T> T myMethod();

private :

static myPluginUse* m_instance;

}

This class is used in the main program and I initialialize the static
member on the before the
main function. This works well, but this class is also used in a plugin
(DLL) but at the moment
I need a initialization of the static member also on the plugin, which
includes this header.
But the plugin cpp file needs only the public part of the class, not
the private or static member
or any implementation. I can "copy" the header part, but I don't want
to use two different files.

How can I use "one" header without a static initialization on my plugin
cpp and initialization on
my main program?

Thanks

Phil

Victor Bazarov

I have got a problem with the initialization of a static class member of
a singleton class.
The class shows (short) :

class myPluginUse {

public :

template<typename T> T myMethod();

private :

static myPluginUse* m_instance;

}

This class is used in the main program and I initialialize the static
member on the before the
main function. This works well, but this class is also used in a plugin
(DLL) but at the moment
I need a initialization of the static member also on the plugin, which
includes this header.

Huh? Two buts in a sentence - I am confused.
But the plugin cpp file needs only the public part of the class, not the
private or static member
or any implementation. I can "copy" the header part, but I don't want to
use two different files.

How can I use "one" header without a static initialization on my plugin
cpp and initialization on
my main program?

Maybe...

// part for use in the DLL
class myPluginForDLLUse
{
public:
virtual void foo() = 0; // interface
};
myPluginForDLLUse* someStandAloneFunction();

// part for use in your implementation, along with the other part
class myPluginImplementation : public myPluginForDLLUse
{
virtual void foo(); // this is where your functionality is

// and all other stuff that your plugin needs at creation
};
// implemenation of your stand-alone function
myPluginForDLLUse* someStandAloneFunction()
{
static myPluginImplementation myPlugin;
return &myPlugin;