    the floating kind which bob around when you scroll. This is no good, the
    menu has to remain completely still. Can anyone point me towards a
    script that will do what I need?

    JD, Mar 27, 2006

  2. JD

    Guest

    > I need to emulate a webpage that uses frames but without using frames.
    > The page is split into two columns with a static list of links on the
    > left. This is the problem - I need the page to scroll but I need the
    > links to remain completely static on the left. I've tried CSS but
    > examples, like this one < http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ >, don't appear to
    > work in IE. I'm not a Javascript programmer so I've been searching for
    > Javascript equivalents high and low but all I can find are examples of
    > the floating kind which bob around when you scroll. This is no good, the
    > menu has to remain completely still. Can anyone point me towards a
    > script that will do what I need?

    No javascript is needed for this. It simple CSS positioning. What
    version of IE did you try? Is old browser support critical? A
    well-designed CSS layout should work on all browsers, and look exactly
    how you wanted on the newer breed. Check out...

    http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/csstut61.htm

    Dan Vesma (back from many years away from alt.html)

    , Mar 27, 2006

  3. JD

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, quothed:

    > > I need to emulate a webpage that uses frames but without using frames.
    > > The page is split into two columns with a static list of links on the
    > > left. This is the problem - I need the page to scroll but I need the
    > > links to remain completely static on the left. I've tried CSS but
    > > examples, like this one < http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ >, don't appear to
    > > work in IE. I'm not a Javascript programmer so I've been searching for
    > > Javascript equivalents high and low but all I can find are examples of
    > > the floating kind which bob around when you scroll. This is no good, the
    > > menu has to remain completely still. Can anyone point me towards a
    > > script that will do what I need?

    > No javascript is needed for this. It simple CSS positioning. What
    > version of IE did you try? Is old browser support critical? A
    > well-designed CSS layout should work on all browsers, and look exactly
    > how you wanted on the newer breed. Check out...
    >
    > http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/csstut61.htm

    "Okay, now it is time to look at the positioning properties. I moved
    these off the other page because I had to put this page inside one big
    table to make sure everyone saw the same thing....with all those screen
    resolutions out there......"

    ?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 27, 2006
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    wrote:
    >>I need to emulate a webpage that uses frames but without using frames.
    >>The page is split into two columns with a static list of links on the
    >>left. This is the problem - I need the page to scroll but I need the
    >>links to remain completely static on the left. I've tried CSS but
    >>examples, like this one < http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/ >, don't appear to
    >>work in IE. I'm not a Javascript programmer so I've been searching for
    >>Javascript equivalents high and low but all I can find are examples of
    >>the floating kind which bob around when you scroll. This is no good, the
    >>menu has to remain completely still. Can anyone point me towards a
    >>script that will do what I need?

    > No javascript is needed for this. It simple CSS positioning.

    It's not so simple because "position:fixed;" doesn't appear to work in
    IE6, the most important browser for this project because that's what the
    client uses.

    JD, Mar 27, 2006