Static Variables and Craziness

dougloj

Howdy.

I have an ASP.NET application written in C#. I know this sounds nuts,
but instead of having multiple .aspx files to display various parts of
the Web site, I do almost everything on my default.aspx page. Instead
of redirecting to various .aspx files, I change the Visible attribute
of various asp.tables to True and False to change the display. Yes, my
default.aspx and default.aspx.cs files are HUGE.

I have found out that when two sessions of my ASP.NET application are
running on the same server, variables from one session are taking on
values from variables in the other session.

The reason that variable values are getting mixed up between the
sessions may be because I use static variables. I thought the static
variables would automatically be independent between sessions. Does my
use of static variables seem like it may be causing the variable mix
up? Does anybody know if there is a way to correct the problem? Is
there anything in the server configuration or Web.config file to fix
the problem? Should I change my static variables to session variables?

I know I should restructure my stuff to use individual .aspx files. If
anybody has ANY ideas as to what I can do in the interim, I'd GREATLY
appreciate hearing your thoughts.

TiSch

Hello,

static (shared in vb.net) are shared between all instances of the
application(sessions).
If you want individual values you need another way to save them. You
could use Session or ViewState for this purpose. What are you saving in
the variables?

Regards,
Tim

Hans Kesting

Hello,
static (shared in vb.net) are shared between all instances of the
application(sessions).
If you want individual values you need another way to save them. You
could use Session or ViewState for this purpose. What are you saving in
the variables?

Regards,
Tim

Not quite, but the result (and the solution) is the same.
There is just a single instance of the web-application, which serves
multiple sessions concurrently. So a static variable is shared between
all sessions.

Hans Kesting

dougloj

I mainly save user account info, product info and order info in objects
of my own class types. These objects are static.

TiSch

I mainly save user account info, product info and order info in objects
of my own class types. These objects are static.

You could save user informations in Session-Variables
Syntax: Session("AccountInfo")=myAccountInfoObject

regards,
Tim