    python distribution.

    Thanks all,

    THN

    Thomas Nelson, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Thomas Nelson

    Robert Kern Guest

    Thomas Nelson wrote:
    > Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find a good summary through
    > google. What kinds of statistical analysis tools exist in python?

    The third hit for "python statistics" is a good overview of what's available:

    http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/

    > really just need t-tests, chi-squared test, and other such tests of
    > statistical significance. A few things point to numpy and scipy, but I
    > was surprised to find the documentation for numpy is not freely
    > available,

    So? The web page does give an overview of what numpy has, and the sample
    chapters go into more depth.

    > and I thought it would be wise to ask here before I download
    > it and start hunting through the source code for what I want. Is numpy
    > the best option for my simple needs?

    numpy tries to be an array package, not a stats package and thus has nothing for
    statistical tests. However, scipy has plenty of stats functionality going well
    beyond what you've specify.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Thomas Nelson

    Guest

    And there is a python interface to R, so that you can call R routines from
    Python. R is a free stat language that has all the tests you've mentioned,

    Gerry

    , Jul 13, 2006
  4. Actually, after a little looking, the simple stats.py module at
    http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/Neural_Systems_Group/gary/python.html
    is exactly what I needed. It may not be as fast or as comprehensive as
    scipy or R, but installation simply involves downloading the module and
    importing into the code, and it has the ttests I was looking for.
    Thanks,
    THN

    Thomas Nelson, Jul 18, 2006