statistical analysis tools in python?

Thomas Nelson

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find a good summary through
google. What kinds of statistical analysis tools exist in python? I
really just need t-tests, chi-squared test, and other such tests of
statistical significance. A few things point to numpy and scipy, but I
was surprised to find the documentation for numpy is not freely
available, and I thought it would be wise to ask here before I download
it and start hunting through the source code for what I want. Is numpy
the best option for my simple needs? Also I was a little surprised to
find nothing in the builtin python modules that can find standard
deviation, quartiles, etc. Is this for any particular reason, or
perhaps no one has shown any interest? I'd be willing to work on a
project to make simple single-variable analysis part of the builtin
python distribution.

Thanks all,

THN

Robert Kern

Thomas said:
Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I couldn't find a good summary through
google. What kinds of statistical analysis tools exist in python?

The third hit for "python statistics" is a good overview of what's available:

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/
really just need t-tests, chi-squared test, and other such tests of
statistical significance. A few things point to numpy and scipy, but I
was surprised to find the documentation for numpy is not freely
available,

So? The web page does give an overview of what numpy has, and the sample
chapters go into more depth.
and I thought it would be wise to ask here before I download
it and start hunting through the source code for what I want. Is numpy
the best option for my simple needs?

numpy tries to be an array package, not a stats package and thus has nothing for
statistical tests. However, scipy has plenty of stats functionality going well
beyond what you've specify.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

gblais

And there is a python interface to R, so that you can call R routines from
Python. R is a free stat language that has all the tests you've mentioned,

Gerry