Strang browser behavior

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by hehongyu2000, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. hehongyu2000

    hehongyu2000 Guest

    I created a very simple asp page, see below,
    ==============
    <head></head>
    <form action="dispatcher.asp" method="post">
    <input type="text" name="docket_no">
    <input type="submit" name="submit_button" value="GO">
    </form>
    ==============
    I put "~" into the text box then click submit button,
    in my server side page, I got "~~" not "~".
    I used some network monitor to catch http packages, looks
    like, when browser send out submit request, "~" already be changed
    to "~~" in submit form. I also tried other characters, looks like
    only "~" has this problem. I even tried to do all windows update,
    IE update and virus scan, no help at all.

    My environment:
    Windows 2000 server,
    IIS 5.0
    IE 6.0.2800.1106

    Thanks for any response.

    Henry

    hehongyu2000, Oct 4, 2005

  2. hehongyu2000

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVob25neXUyMDAw?= wrote on 04 okt 2005 in

    > I created a very simple asp page, see below,
    > ==============
    > <head></head>
    > <form action="dispatcher.asp" method="post">
    > <input type="text" name="docket_no">
    > <input type="submit" name="submit_button" value="GO">
    > </form>

    This is called a html page.

    [In fact, asp-pages do not exist,
    only asp files that most often render a html output to the client.]

    > ==============
    > I put "~" into the text box then click submit button,
    > in my server side page, I got "~~" not "~".

    Show us the serveside code.

    > I used some network monitor to catch http packages, looks
    > like, when browser send out submit request, "~" already be changed
    > to "~~" in submit form. I also tried other characters, looks like
    > only "~" has this problem. I even tried to do all windows update,
    > IE update and virus scan, no help at all.

    Try another computer.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 4, 2005

  3. hehongyu2000

    hehongyu2000 Guest

    Hi Evertjan,
    Thank you for your response!!!

    Server side is also very simple,
    =============
    <%@ LANGUAGE=Jscript%>
    <%
    Response.Write(Request("docket_no"));
    %>
    =============

    I tried on another windows XP computer is ok, but
    it has different version IE (6.0.2900.2180)

    I don't know why such simple code, browser gives my wrong result.
    I am pretty sure not IIS issue because I used network monitor already
    catched http packages that show me browser submited wrong data to
    server.

    Henry

    hehongyu2000, Oct 4, 2005
  4. hehongyu2000

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVob25neXUyMDAw?= wrote on 04 okt 2005 in
    > "Evertjan." wrote:
    >>
    >> > I created a very simple asp page, see below,
    >> > ==============
    >> > <head></head>
    >> > <form action="dispatcher.asp" method="post">
    >> > <input type="text" name="docket_no">
    >> > <input type="submit" name="submit_button" value="GO">
    >> > </form>

    >> This is called a html page.
    >>
    >> [In fact, asp-pages do not exist,
    >> only asp files that most often render a html output to the client.]
    >>
    >> > ==============
    >> > I put "~" into the text box then click submit button,
    >> > in my server side page, I got "~~" not "~".

    >> Show us the serveside code.
    >>
    >> > I used some network monitor to catch http packages, looks
    >> > like, when browser send out submit request, "~" already be changed
    >> > to "~~" in submit form. I also tried other characters, looks like
    >> > only "~" has this problem. I even tried to do all windows update,
    >> > IE update and virus scan, no help at all.

    >> Try another computer.

    [please no topposting on usenet]

    > Server side is also very simple,
    > =============
    > <%@ LANGUAGE=Jscript%>
    > <%
    > Response.Write(Request("docket_no"));

    It is better always to declare the method/property of the Request,
    in your case:

    Response.Write(Request.form("docket_no"));

    If there are more request object collections competing,
    you are never sure which one has the priority.

    But probably this does not clear your issue

    > %>
    > =============
    >
    > I tried on another windows XP computer is ok, but
    > it has different version IE (6.0.2900.2180)
    >
    > I don't know why such simple code, browser gives my wrong result.
    > I am pretty sure not IIS issue because I used network monitor already
    > catched http packages that show me browser submited wrong data to
    > server.

    Then the most probable culprit seems to me a firewall.
    Switch it off for a test.

    However, if different browserds give different results,
    the problem is clientside and off topic on this NG.

    You better try a clientside NG.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Oct 4, 2005
  5. hehongyu2000

    hehongyu2000 Guest

    Hi Evertjan,
    Yeh, the problem is clientside, I tried Firefox browser that is ok.
    But I don't know why IE make this mistake and how to fix it.

    Henry

    hehongyu2000, Oct 5, 2005
  6. hehongyu2000

    Evertjan. Guest

    =?Utf-8?B?aGVob25neXUyMDAw?= wrote on 05 okt 2005 in

    > Yeh, the problem is clientside, I tried Firefox browser that is ok.
    > But I don't know why IE make this mistake and how to fix it.

    Do you know what topposting is?

    Do you know what off topic is?

    --
    Evertjan.