Strange behavior of Kernel::system

Phil

Hi

I am running Ruby on Ubunutu 7.10. I have a shell script building my
software (doFullBuild) with one Parameter (the SVN revision number).

When I call this script directly from Linux terminal (e.g. ./
doFullBuild -r 134 >logFile_r134.log 2>logFile_r134.error.log &) it
checks out the SW sources and builds the software - and everything is
fine.

I now enhanced my build system by using Ruby (and Fox-GUI library).
There in the Ruby script I have:
system('./doFullBuild -r 134 >logFile_r134.log
2>logFile_r134.error.log &')
This should do exactly the same as when I run it directly from Linux
terminal - shouldn't it? BUT - it does not and I need help about how I
can further analyze this problem.
Some parts are not built and I have no idea what is the difference
between calling doFullBuild directly in Linux terminal or by calling
it (via system) from my Ruby script.

Any hints for me?

BR Phil

Phil

I have found a problem in the bash script (empty command, i.e. ":" and
next line being interpreted as options for this command) being called
by my Ruby script. Still I do not understand why there is a difference
between calling the bash script from a Linux terminal window and
calling it from within Ruby.

But what I had to solve is solved.

BR Phil