Strange file opening problem on WinNT

Michael

I've tried hard to google an answer to this without success. I'm using
a perl script on Windows NT (Perl 5.8.0) that I've written (and
executed with no problem) on a Linux machine. The script uses the
command (acting on a plain text file):

$comm=join("","output\\",$data_type,"_",$date,".mps");
open(INFILE,$comm);
$close(INFILE);

The file is read no problem (and, in fact, writes out to another file
no problem). The strange thing about running it in Windows is that it
ALSO "executes" the file it reads: in the same sense as if I double
clicked on the file. So ".dat" files (associated with Excel here)
cause lots of excel windows to pop up if I read in lots of files. I
changed to an unassociated extension to avoid this and a pop-up
appears to tell me (for each and every file) that the file cannot be
executed as it is not associated with an application.

The program still works but makes a fast script very slow. If anyone
knows what's going on, could they let me know?

Michael