Strange file opening problem on WinNT

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Michael, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I've tried hard to google an answer to this without success. I'm using
    a perl script on Windows NT (Perl 5.8.0) that I've written (and
    executed with no problem) on a Linux machine. The script uses the
    command (acting on a plain text file):

    $comm=join("","output\\",$data_type,"_",$date,".mps");
    open(INFILE,$comm);
    $close(INFILE);

    The file is read no problem (and, in fact, writes out to another file
    no problem). The strange thing about running it in Windows is that it
    ALSO "executes" the file it reads: in the same sense as if I double
    clicked on the file. So ".dat" files (associated with Excel here)
    cause lots of excel windows to pop up if I read in lots of files. I
    changed to an unassociated extension to avoid this and a pop-up
    appears to tell me (for each and every file) that the file cannot be
    executed as it is not associated with an application.

    The program still works but makes a fast script very slow. If anyone
    knows what's going on, could they let me know?

    Michael

    Michael, Oct 23, 2003