strange getch+kbhit behaviour

Tak-Shing Chan

Tak-Shing Chan said:
jacob navia said: [...]
getch() probably expects an ASCII character, not just some
keyboard key

That incorrect answer is a great example of why you should ask
platform-specific questions on a newsgroup devoted to the appropriate
platform.

How could a sentence with the adverb ``probably'' be
incorrect? :) FWIW, ``probably'' probably means ``with
likelihood (though not with certainty)'' (OED 1989, 1).

"The sky will probably be green tomorrow."

"Passing random values to free() will probably not cause any problems."

"The next C standard will probably add the Windows API as part of the
standard library."

You are probably not using ``probably'' in sense 1 of OED
(above) which according to my reading means ``I believe that
there is a likelihood but I am not certain that...'' so as long
as Jacob believes what he says he is correct. IMHO.

Tak-Shing

Al Balmer

You are probably not using ``probably'' in sense 1 of OED
(above) which according to my reading means ``I believe that
there is a likelihood but I am not certain that...'' so as long
as Jacob believes what he says he is correct. IMHO.

<OT> Jacob's beliefs have nothing to do with probabilities. Look up
"belief" in the OED. </OT>

BTW, I think you're in the wrong newsgroup.

Tak-Shing Chan

<OT> Jacob's beliefs have nothing to do with probabilities. Look up
"belief" in the OED. </OT>

BTW, I think you're in the wrong newsgroup.

If he believes that there is a likelihood then it has some
implications on (subjective) probabilities. The keyword here is
likelihood (not belief).

And if you have read the entire thread, you will notice that
I am actually on the right newsgroup, because my point here is
that getch is in the user namespace so it would be improper to
summarily dismiss Jacob's post as ``incorrect''.

Tak-Shing

Default User

simnav wrote:

+AD4- User-Agent: XanaNews/1.17.5.9

+AD4- Please accept my apologies for the two mistakes I did: incorrect
+AD4- newsgroup and multi post (my newsreader is driven crazy and sent
it
+AD4- too many times...)

I've not noticed any such behavior with XanaNews. I suspect your
problems were of your own making, rather than your newsreader.

Brian

CBFalconer

Tak-Shing Chan said:
.... snip ...

And if you have read the entire thread, you will notice that
I am actually on the right newsgroup, because my point here is
that getch is in the user namespace so it would be improper to
summarily dismiss Jacob's post as ``incorrect''.

Nowhere in this thread, as far as I can see, does the standard C
source code for getch() appear. That makes it thoroughly
off-topic, and only deserving exposure on a newsgroup that
understands that function. This is not it.

--
Some informative links:
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/

CBFalconer

Default said:
simnav wrote:

+AD4- User-Agent: XanaNews/1.17.5.9

+AD4- Please accept my apologies for the two mistakes I did: incorrect
+AD4- newsgroup and multi post (my newsreader is driven crazy and sent
+AD4- it too many times...)

I've not noticed any such behavior with XanaNews. I suspect your
problems were of your own making, rather than your newsreader.

What is that silly non-standard "+AD4-" doing marking quotes?

--
Some informative links:
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Mark McIntyre

You are probably not using ``probably'' in sense 1 of OED
(above) which according to my reading means ``I believe that
there is a likelihood but I am not certain that...''

Then your reading of the actual words you quoted was extremely
erroneous. The quote did not say
probably (adv) something someone believes to be true
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

If he believes that there is a likelihood then it has some
implications on (subjective) probabilities.

Horsefeathers. Utter nonsense.
The keyword here is likelihood (not belief).

I believe there's a likelihood of me winning the lottery. Does this
mean I probably will?

I hope you stop digging now, its a deep hole already.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

CBFalconer said:
What is that silly non-standard "+AD4-" doing marking quotes?

I've never heard this complaint before, nor seen it in quotes of
quotes. According to the settings in my newsreader, it should be the
"greater-than" symbol.

Do you see the same below?

Manually "quoted" line.

Brian

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre said:
Horsefeathers. Utter nonsense.

I believe there's a likelihood of me winning the lottery. Does this
mean I probably will?

I hope you stop digging now, its a deep hole already.

I humbly submit that the hole, the shovel, the feathers, and the horse
they rode in on have far exceeded the bounds of topicality, relevance,
and interest.

Zero or more people in this thread were correct, zero or more people
in this thread were incorrect, and I see no benefit in figuring out
the details.

Tak-Shing Chan

Then your reading of the actual words you quoted was extremely
erroneous. The quote did not say
probably (adv) something someone believes to be true

Your reading of my reading is erroneous. It should have
been ``probably (adv) something someone believes to be plausible
but is not entirely sure''. For example, if I say ``the OP is
probably using a non-conforming compiler'', I am stating (1) my
belief that this scenerio is plausible, hence ``probably''; and
(2) that I am not entirely sure, hence ``probably''.

Tak-Shing

Tak-Shing Chan

Horsefeathers. Utter nonsense.

I believe there's a likelihood of me winning the lottery. Does this
mean I probably will?

I hope you stop digging now, its a deep hole already.

According to my understanding of the language, ``I probably
will'' implies ``not sure if I will''. I do not know what you
are complaining about.

Tak-Shing

Tak-Shing Chan

Nowhere in this thread, as far as I can see, does the standard C
source code for getch() appear. That makes it thoroughly
off-topic, and only deserving exposure on a newsgroup that
understands that function. This is not it.

But that is not my point. My point is that getch is not a
reserved identifier. This is a valid C point, as far as I know.

Tak-Shing

Al Balmer

Your reading of my reading is erroneous.

Enough. For the moment, I will only kill the thread, in the hope that
you will someday have something useful to say on some other (topical)
subject.

CBFalconer

Tak-Shing Chan said:
But that is not my point. My point is that getch is not a
reserved identifier. This is a valid C point, as far as I know.

But the code is not meaningful nor compilable without the getch
source, and thus nobody here can offer any accurate helpful code
criticisms or suggestions. Useless postings are off-topic.

Please correct the following. It doesn't seem to work.

bletch(violently);
if (foo.bar == GARBAGE) puts("garbage");
else reparse();

--
Some informative links:
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

CBFalconer

Mark McIntyre

Your reading of my reading is erroneous.

D'you know what? I'm actually not interested in playing.
It should have
been ``probably (adv) something someone believes to be plausible
but is not entirely sure''.

But you see, this is NOT the dictionary definition.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Mark McIntyre wrote:

According to my understanding of the language, ``I probably
will'' implies ``not sure if I will''.

It most certainly does not.
I do not know what you are complaining about.

I'm complaining about you continuing to dig when you should have said
"oops" about 20 posts ago.

*threadplonk*
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Dik T. Winter

> I did not write this. Learn how to quote!

Learn how to read. The OP did not include "conio.h", but he did
include "dpmi.h". The quote was directly from the original article.