strange image problem - how does this work?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    First of all, I realize that what I'm doing doesn't fall under most
    people's list of best practices.

    I have a page that I've put together that displays images of weather
    maps. Each image is a link to the source's web page. I've started
    seeing a really interesting problem with using an image from The
    Weather Channel's website. The image I use for my link gets replaced
    by a different image that has text on saying something to the effect
    of "the image you have requested is not available". Yet, I can paste
    the image's URL into my browser address and the image will appear just
    fine.

    How does this happen? And, is there any way to stop it?

    (If any of you are asking why I set my page up this way, I did it so
    that when I open the page I see the most current maps at that time
    which is more helpful to me to get a quick glimpse of whats going on
    and then I can open a website that I want more detailed information
    from.)

    - Mark

    Mark, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Mark

    rf Guest

    "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > First of all, I realize that what I'm doing doesn't fall under most
    > people's list of best practices.
    >
    > I have a page that I've put together that displays images of weather
    > maps. Each image is a link to the source's web page. I've started
    > seeing a really interesting problem with using an image from The
    > Weather Channel's website. The image I use for my link gets replaced
    > by a different image that has text on saying something to the effect
    > of "the image you have requested is not available". Yet, I can paste
    > the image's URL into my browser address and the image will appear just
    > fine.
    >
    > How does this happen?

    They have found out you are stealing their bandwidth and have stopped you
    :)

    Probably they are looking at the referrer and if it is not their web site
    then a dummy image is served up.

    > And, is there any way to stop it?

    Nope. It's their server, they can do what they want at their end.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Mark

    Disco Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > How does this happen? And, is there any way to stop it?

    Find out you IP of your site... eg...

    if you are www.cheakywebsitethatusesotherpeoplesbandwidth.com, then ping
    cheakywebsitethatusesotherpeoplesbandwidth.com and get the ip address.

    Now, instead of
    http://www.cheakywebsitethatusesotherpeoplesbandwidth.com/imagespage.html,
    use the ipaddress like this... http://111.222.11.22/imagespage.html

    Now, if the images on that page work, then you know that they do not like
    you. Write to them a letter that you will come over and wash their car.
    This may make it up to them.

    Disco, Jun 27, 2003
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > First of all, I realize that what I'm doing doesn't fall under most
    > people's list of best practices.
    >
    > I have a page that I've put together that displays images of weather
    > maps. Each image is a link to the source's web page. I've started
    > seeing a really interesting problem with using an image from The
    > Weather Channel's website. The image I use for my link gets replaced
    > by a different image that has text on saying something to the effect
    > of "the image you have requested is not available". Yet, I can paste
    > the image's URL into my browser address and the image will appear just
    > fine.

    I can link to eg
    http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_277x187.jpg no
    problem, but larger images such as
    http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg are being
    blocked at their end (like Richard said).

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jun 27, 2003
  5. Mark

    Csaba2000 Guest

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > First of all, I realize that what I'm doing doesn't fall under most
    > > people's list of best practices.
    > >
    > > I have a page that I've put together that displays images of weather
    > > maps. Each image is a link to the source's web page. I've started
    > > seeing a really interesting problem with using an image from The
    > > Weather Channel's website. The image I use for my link gets replaced
    > > by a different image that has text on saying something to the effect
    > > of "the image you have requested is not available". Yet, I can paste
    > > the image's URL into my browser address and the image will appear just
    > > fine.
    > >

    > I can link to eg
    > http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_277x187.jpg no
    > problem, but larger images such as
    > http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg are being
    > blocked at their end (like Richard said).

    Curious. Even the larger image was not blocked on my IE 5.5

    Csaba2000, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Mark

    rf Guest

    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > First of all, I realize that what I'm doing doesn't fall under most
    > > > people's list of best practices.
    > > >
    > > > I have a page that I've put together that displays images of weather
    > > > maps. Each image is a link to the source's web page. I've started
    > > > seeing a really interesting problem with using an image from The
    > > > Weather Channel's website. The image I use for my link gets replaced
    > > > by a different image that has text on saying something to the effect
    > > > of "the image you have requested is not available". Yet, I can paste
    > > > the image's URL into my browser address and the image will appear just
    > > > fine.
    > > >

    > > I can link to eg
    > > http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_277x187.jpg no
    > > problem, but larger images such as
    > > http://image.weather.com/images/maps/current/curwx_600x405.jpg are being
    > > blocked at their end (like Richard said).

    > Curious. Even the larger image was not blocked on my IE 5.5

    May well be blocked by IP address range.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 28, 2003