Strange performance problem

DM

I'm sorry... I wrote in Italian...

I've a strange performance problem.
I've a server producing data and a client consuming it (display on
tables, make formula, charts, and so on...).
When the incoming data become too much (I thing about 70 in a second)
the client stop working well... it becomes like freezed...
The strange think is the CPU is working at 30%... no more... so the
problem seems not to be in CPU usage...
What can I do?

Thanks all,
DM

Mich

DM said:
I'm sorry... I wrote in Italian...

I've a strange performance problem.
I've a server producing data and a client consuming it (display on
tables, make formula, charts, and so on...).
When the incoming data become too much (I thing about 70 in a second)
the client stop working well... it becomes like freezed...
The strange think is the CPU is working at 30%... no more... so the
problem seems not to be in CPU usage...
What can I do?

Did you check how much RAM was being used?

Andrew Thompson

DM wrote:
I've a strange performance problem.
I've a server producing data and a client consuming it (display on
tables, make formula, charts, and so on...).
When the incoming data become too much (I thing about 70 in a second)
the client stop working well... it becomes like freezed...

So the client GUI freezes when data input gets
too high? It sounds as is if code might
'block the EDT'.

Andrew T.

Michael Foley

One way to help debug a hang or freeze is to get a thread dump. ctrl-break
or kill-3 the client. Then take a look at what all the threads are doing.
It might provide information that leads to a solution.

Mike Foley

Robert Klemme

DM said:
Mich ha scritto:

Yes... about 70MB... stable... I've a lot of free ram...

It sounds as if you are hitting the JVM default max mem usage (64MB IIRC).
So it is doing GC all the time to try to free up old mem. This is
inefficient. Rather give it more mem. Try option -Xmx to set a higher
value, for example -Xmx512m for 512MB of memory.

Kind regards

robert

DM

Andrew Thompson ha scritto:
DM wrote:

So the client GUI freezes when data input gets
too high? It sounds as is if code might
'block the EDT'.

Supposing you're right... what can I do?

DM

Andrew Thompson

DM said:
Andrew Thompson ha scritto:

Supposing you're right... what can I do?

To unblock it, move any time-consuming task
out of the EDT, onto its own 'T'.

Andrew T.