Hi. I'm working on a perl script (about techno-commercial notes
depository ; close to a kind of dedicated guestbook working) which
typically works like this :

#1 : input-form with submit and preview buttons
(text, hidden, checkbox, textarea, POST method)

user click submit from #1 => #2aa : error-page OR #2ab : success-page
user click preview from #1 => #2b : preview-page with submit button

user click back from #2aa => #1
user click show from #2ab => #3
user click back from #2b => #1
user click submit from #2b => #2aa OR #2ab

#3 : list the existing contributions (including new one if any)

Of course, the user can diretly go in #3 if he doesn't have to
contribute at this time.

Well, all sounds right but my current concern is about browser (and
proxy) caching.

If I let all like this, every one (co-users of any computer) can
navigate to previous generated page (#1 with field filled, all #2 with
their status messages, #3 which may be ou-of-date).

At a first step, I've decided to build two types of http response header
: a first one called $nocache with "Cache-Control: no-cache\n" AND a
second one called $agecache with "Cache-Control: max-age=900\n". Then,
to apply $nocache everywhere except the input form in #1 which would
take $agecache.

This way because everyone must be able to be back to a previously
informed input form (#1) from all of the #2 steps (error, success,
preview. But nobody should be able to keep trace about #2 and #3.

So, does my way the good one ?

I've already seen some flaw which may become dammageable : for example,
I've integrated a captcha mecanism and the "password-image" doesn't
renew when user is back to the #1 (with $agecache) in the 900 seconds.
So, in this case, how to force the pass-img reload (knowing a new one is
generated at every "real" page reload). And it must exists others
lack...

Of course, I've also observed what done in some public guestbook script
(e.g. the one by Matt Wright, Adam Daley, etc) and it seems they just
ignore the subject and just let thing like they are naturally : everyone
can navigate in previous generated pages without renew).

Well, how would you proceed ? Any advice welcome : thanks