String and quotation marks

Discussion in 'Python' started by M. Clift, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. M. Clift

    M. Clift Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm displaying some static text in wx.python. All is ok if I write the text
    as so;

    self.label_1 = wx.StaticText(self, -1, " categggirlcow")

    However I have the names as a string without quotes

    names = ['cat','egg','girl','cow']

    # flatten names

    for i in names:
    h = map(None, ab)

    l1 = []
    for i in h:
    for j in list(i):
    l1.append(j)
    x = "".join(l1)

    print x,
    # - gives of course cat egg girl cow

    printnames = " \"x\"" # -- I've tried this, but it doesn't work

    self.label_1 = wx.StaticText(self, -1, printnames)

    Could someone show me how to get some quotes around the string so I can use
    it for the static text?

    Thanks,

    Malcolm

    M. Clift, Oct 22, 2004

  2. M. Clift

    Larry Bates Guest

    M. Clift wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm displaying some static text in wx.python. All is ok if I write the text
    > as so;
    >
    > self.label_1 = wx.StaticText(self, -1, " categggirlcow")
    >
    > However I have the names as a string without quotes
    >
    > names = ['cat','egg','girl','cow']

    names is a list of strings so you just need to join
    them together and if your example is correct prepend
    a single space.

    self.label_1=wxStaticText(self, -1, " "+"".join(names))

    This would produce exactly the same string as
    " categggirlcow" that you pass in as a literal.

    Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Oct 22, 2004

  3. M. Clift

    M. Clift Guest