string comparison

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Boris Glawe, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Boris Glawe

    Boris Glawe Guest

    Hi,

    I have a class containing a string as an instance variable and I have a local
    variable containing a string.

    I compare these two strings with '==' and with the .eql? method:

    ###################################

    obj.text = "hello world"
    localtext = "hello world"

    if obj.text == localtext
    then
    # do something
    end

    ###################################

    The condition never became true in my program. Thus I added some debug output.
    This is the the debugging code:

    if not obj.text == localtext
    then
    print "\"#{obj.text}\" is not equal \"#{localtext}\"\n"
    end

    This is, what it gave me:

    "hello world" is not equal "hello world"

    It's not worth trying the example above, since it's not the actual code. The
    actual code in my project is much more complex, that's why I used this example
    to discribe my problem.

    Fact is that when the string comparison does not succeed I get an output like

    "hello world" is not equal "hello "world"

    Now it's your turn... What could cause this behaviour?

    thanks and greets

    Boris

    P.S. I have cancelled another message, which had a syntax error in my example

    Boris Glawe, Dec 14, 2005