structs

Keith Thompson

Bill Cunningham said:
I've been using quotefix. Maybe I've opened OE and not went through
quotefix.

I've given you my advice: Stop using Outlook Express and go back
to Thunderbird, which you've used successfully before. Take it or
leave it.

(I think OE's failure to quote properly depends in some way on the
nature of the parent article, but I don't know the details.)
I misspoke I meant clearing the size of garbage.

First, "clearing the size" doesn't make sense. Second, you're
just replacing any garbage with other garbage that happens to be
all-bits-zero.

But I don't believe you misspoke. Upthread, you wrote:

My compiler complained about not knowing the size and when I
added memset() it appeared to me to change something.

I think you're just changing your story now that you've realized that
the original one didn't make sense.

Was that meant to be an answer to the question?

[snip]

Bill Cunningham

Keith Thompson wrote:

[snip]
Was that meant to be an answer to the question?

No actually I asked another question of sorts. If you have this
declaration-

struct cat *pc;
struct cat k;

Do you have to assign the pointer as in,

pc=&k;

*pc has already been declared a type of struct cat.
This code page I posted says you have to assign.

Bill

Bill Cunningham

Keith Thompson wrote:

[snip]

Was that meant to be an answer to the question?
No actually I asked another question of sorts. If you have this
declaration-

struct cat *pc;
struct cat k;

Do you have to assign the pointer as in,

pc=&k;

*pc has already been declared a type of struct cat.
This code page I posted says you have to assign.

Bill
Ok I have posted this with thunderbird. I will try it out for awhile.

Bill

Keith Thompson

Bill Cunningham said:
Keith Thompson wrote:

[snip]
Was that meant to be an answer to the question?

No actually I asked another question of sorts. If you have this
declaration-

struct cat *pc;
struct cat k;

Do you have to assign the pointer as in,

pc=&k;

*pc has already been declared a type of struct cat.
This code page I posted says you have to assign.

You don't *have* to do anything. The assignment
pc = &k;
is legal. I can't possibly tell you whether it accomplishes what
you want it to, because you haven't said what you're trying to
accomplish.

Default User

(I think OE's failure to quote properly depends in some way on the
nature of the parent article, but I don't know the details.)

OE has trouble quoting when the Content-Type: header is set to
Quoted-Printable. This is most commonly seen in posts from Google Groups.

Brian

Bill Cunningham

Nick said:
you probably need to pass k as a parameter to load(). Do you
understand what a linked list is?

I know what they are in theory. Have I ever tried to do it with success
but it's what I'm attempting.

QUESTION ZERO: WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?

before you write a single line of code you answer this question. You
are like a perseon that starts walking in a random direction then
decides where to go after walking for a bit. Or, in your case, doesn't
decide.

How can I put this... I want a "template" might be the right word which
is the struct cat example in a header. The linked list is "pages" of various
cats. Database is to complicated a word here. Functions to add to the list
remove or add pages of an individual cat.

Bill

Nick Keighley

Nick Keighley wrote:

    I know what they are in theory. Have I ever tried to do it with success
but it's what I'm attempting.

I think K&R has an example
    How can I put this... I want a "template" might be the right word

example, exemplar?

which is the struct cat example in a header.

nope you lost me again.
The linked list is "pages" of various
cats.

"page" is a bit of an odd word. You are trying to build a linked list
of cat structures. If you want a generic name for the entries in a
list the "node" is commonly used

Database is to complicated a word here.

I think antidisestablishmentarianism is a more complicated word. You
are not writing a database.
Functions to add to the list
remove or add pages of an individual cat.

lost me. How can a cat have more than one page?

Bill Cunningham

Nick said:
I think K&R has an example

example, exemplar?

nope you lost me again.

"page" is a bit of an odd word. You are trying to build a linked list
of cat structures. If you want a generic name for the entries in a
list the "node" is commonly used

I think antidisestablishmentarianism is a more complicated word. You
are not writing a database.

lost me. How can a cat have more than one page?

More than one node that is then.
It seems I might have trimmed to much off the post. With this OE quote-fix
posts are colored and you understand the postings much better.

Bill