Struts and Tiles in tomcat 4.1.18, arabic characters cannot be viewed?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Conor, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Conor

    Conor Guest

    Dear All,
    I'm using the struts and tiles frameworks in tomcat(version
    4.1.18). I have an action that reads arabic text from a sybase
    database, writes to a file (to verfiy database string is in arabic)
    then sets a forms string property, then forwards to a jsp which views
    the result.
    When not using tiles, just struts in tomcat, I get the correct
    result, arabic text on the screen. However, when I attempt to do the
    exact same in tiles, I get ???? ???? ??? characters instead of the
    correct arabic text?
    Has anyone come across this problem before? If so, did they
    find a workaround? My charset is utf-8, which I set both in the struts
    controller, plus in every jsp at the top using this line:

    <%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>

    Makes no difference, still just see question-mark characters coming
    back!

    Any help/pointers appreciated?
    Best regards,
    Conor