Struts - bean:write or html:text - not getting bean value - Please help

Discussion in 'Java' started by jill, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. jill

    jill Guest

    Hi All,

    I am newbie to Struts.

    I am writing a simple application, in which in the JSP page, if I use
    bean in scripplet it works fine. For example <%=
    courseBean.getCourseName%> works fine and gives me result.

    If I replace this pice of code with bean write or html: text nothing
    comes.

    I have tried putting bean in session, used bean:define tag but nothing
    works.

    Here is my example code

    Struts Config File

    <action path="/modifyCourse"
    type="com.nyiso.lc.admin.ModifyCourseAction" name="courseFormBean"
    scope="request">
    <forward name="success" path="/public-html/modifyCourse.jsp" />
    </action>

    JSP Code - modifyCourse.jsp

    <%@ page import="com.nyiso.lc.admin.LCConstants,
    com.nyiso.lc.admin.CourseTypeBean,
    com.nyiso.lc.admin.CourseBean,com.nyiso.lc.silverln.LCDAO,
    java.util.ArrayList" %>
    <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>
    <%@ include file = "header.html" %>
    <%@ include file = "menu.jsp" %>

    <bean:define id="courseBean1" name="courseBean" toScope="session"
    type="com.nyiso.lc.CourseBean"//>

    focus="courseName" >

    <TABLE CELLPADDING="2" CELLSPACING="2" BORDER="0">
    <TR>
    <TD CLASS="paragraphbold" ALIGN="Right">Course Name</TD>
    <TD CLASS="paragraph">
    <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="courseID" SIZE="30" CLASS="paragraph"
    value="">

    <bean:write name="courseBean1" property="courseName"/>
    <bean:write name="courseBean1" property="CourseName"/>
    </TD>
    </TR>
    <%@ include file = "footer.html" %>

    public class ModifyCourseAction extends Action {
    public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
    ActionForm form,
    HttpServletRequest request,
    HttpServletResponse response)
    throws Exception {

    CourseFormBean courseFormBean = (CourseFormBean) form;

    if(session.getAttribute(Constants.DATA_SOURCE) == null){
    SilverDB mySilverDB = new SilverDB();
    session.setAttribute(Constants.DATA_SOURCE, mySilverDB);
    }
    CourseTypeDAO courseTypeDAO = new CourseTypeDAO(request);
    ArrayList arrCourseTypeBean =
    (ArrayList)courseTypeDAO.hydrate(LCDAO.SELECT_ALL_STP, null);
    request.setAttribute(LCConstants.ARRAY_COURSE_TYPE_BEAN,
    arrCourseTypeBean);

    CourseDAO courseDAO = new CourseDAO(request);
    CourseBean courseBean = (CourseBean)
    courseDAO.hydrate(LCDAO.SELECT_SINGLE_STP, courseFormBean);
    session.setAttribute("courseBean", courseBean);

    return (mapping.findForward(LCConstants.ACTION_SUCCESS));

    I don't know why my course Bean using tags is empty and if I use
    request.getAttribute and then use coursebean.get..., gives me value.

    What am I missing.

    Any help is very much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jill.
    jill, Dec 14, 2005

  2. jill

    Guest

    Looks like your courseBean & courseBeanForm isn't in sync.

    try to have your courseBeanForm.setCourseBean(courseBean);

    then you should have the bean:write & html:text property exposable to
    your courseBean.

    assuming you have

    setCourseBean(CourseBean v){
    courseBean = v;
    }

    String getCourseNumber(){
    return courseBean.getCourseNumber();
    }

    or whatever... hopefully this helps.

    http://www.binaryfrost.com

    jill wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > CourseFormBean courseFormBean = (CourseFormBean) form;
    >
    > if(session.getAttribute(Constants.DATA_SOURCE) == null){
    > SilverDB mySilverDB = new SilverDB();
    > session.setAttribute(Constants.DATA_SOURCE, mySilverDB);
    > }
    > CourseTypeDAO courseTypeDAO = new CourseTypeDAO(request);
    > ArrayList arrCourseTypeBean =
    > (ArrayList)courseTypeDAO.hydrate(LCDAO.SELECT_ALL_STP, null);
    > request.setAttribute(LCConstants.ARRAY_COURSE_TYPE_BEAN,
    > arrCourseTypeBean);
    >
    > CourseDAO courseDAO = new CourseDAO(request);
    > CourseBean courseBean = (CourseBean)
    > courseDAO.hydrate(LCDAO.SELECT_SINGLE_STP, courseFormBean);
    > session.setAttribute("courseBean", courseBean);
    >
    > return (mapping.findForward(LCConstants.ACTION_SUCCESS));
    >

    > I don't know why my course Bean using tags is empty and if I use
    > request.getAttribute and then use coursebean.get..., gives me value.

    , Dec 14, 2005

  3. jill

    Tim B Guest

    "jill" <> wrote> JSP Code - modifyCourse.jsp

    > <%@ page import="com.nyiso.lc.admin.LCConstants,
    > com.nyiso.lc.admin.CourseTypeBean,
    > com.nyiso.lc.admin.CourseBean,com.nyiso.lc.silverln.LCDAO,
    > java.util.ArrayList" %>
    > <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>
    > <%@ include file = "header.html" %>
    > <%@ include file = "menu.jsp" %>

    > <bean:define id="courseBean1" name="courseBean" toScope="session"
    > type="com.nyiso.lc.CourseBean"//>

    you are missing this:

    <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tld/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>

    look in your actual html ouput. it probably has this:

    <bean:write name="courseBean1" property="courseName"/>

    because the bean:write tag is not being processed
    Tim B, Dec 15, 2005
  4. jill

    jill Guest

    Thanks cbroussard for your reply.

    I am not doing what you said. I don't have setCourseBean in my
    courseBeanForm. I will try that.

    But one weird thing happened yesterday evening, I restarted my server
    and my code started working. So the above code started working with out
    making any changes.

    I don't understand why? Any idea please let me know.

    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Jill.

    jill, Dec 15, 2005
  5. jill