Struts

Mongoose

Hi All,

I'm learning Struts and have a (hopefully simple) question on how to
accomplish something . . .

I basically have a .jsp page in a Struts application that has a menu
with tabs on it. When I click on one of the tabs I load a .jsp
depending on what tab was clicked of course. When I click on my tab I
also want to execute a Struts action within which I will retrieve my
data and populate a list with it. In my action class I want to store
the list in a session object and then retrieve it in my .jsp. The
part I am having trouble with is getting my action class to execute
when I click on one of my tabs in my .jsp. Can anyone help me with
this?

I'm using the Struts Menu Tag Library to create my menus if that helps
at all . . .

As always, all help is much appreciated . . .

Thanks,

Andy

Donkey Hottie

Mongoose said:
Hi All,

I'm learning Struts and have a (hopefully simple)
question on how to accomplish something . . .

I basically have a .jsp page in a Struts application that
has a menu with tabs on it. When I click on one of the
tabs I load a .jsp depending on what tab was clicked of
course. When I click on my tab I also want to execute a
Struts action within which I will retrieve my data and
populate a list with it. In my action class I want to
store the list in a session object and then retrieve it
in my .jsp. The part I am having trouble with is getting
my action class to execute when I click on one of my tabs
in my .jsp. Can anyone help me with this?

I'm using the Struts Menu Tag Library to create my menus
if that helps at all . . .

As always, all help is much appreciated . . .

Basically you *never* link to any jsp pages on the jsp code, you link to the
Actions. Each Action has an URL configured for it in struts-config.xml. The
Action populates the ActionForm configured for it, and the returns an
ActionMapping.findForward("someview"), which points to the jsp page in the
struts-config.xml.

This is for Struts 1.x, Struts2 works similarly I guess, while the class
names may differ.

In Struts 1.x the action URL contains a ".do" in the end of it. If you have
a ShowPageAction and its URL is /showPage.do then you link to that.

The jsp page is mapped to a view in tiles-defs.xml, and you configure the
view name into the Action in struts-config.xml.

Arne Vajhøj

Donkey said:
Basically you *never* link to any jsp pages on the jsp code, you link to
the Actions. Each Action has an URL configured for it in
struts-config.xml. The Action populates the ActionForm configured for
it, and the returns an ActionMapping.findForward("someview"), which
points to the jsp page in the struts-config.xml.

This is for Struts 1.x, Struts2 works similarly I guess, while the class
names may differ.

In Struts 1.x the action URL contains a ".do" in the end of it. If you
have a ShowPageAction and its URL is /showPage.do then you link to that.

The jsp page is mapped to a view in tiles-defs.xml, and you configure
the view name into the Action in struts-config.xml.

If the tab is actually fetched when clicked on then specifying the
tab link as the foobar.do action may work.

If everything is fetched at the beginning and clicking the
tab just changes what is displayed purely client side, then
it is a problem.

Unless someone actually knows Struts Menu, then we need more
info to avoid guessing too much.

In general I think there is a lot better AJAX support for JSF
than for Struts.

Arne

Mongoose

If the tab is actually fetched when clicked on then specifying the
tab link as the foobar.do action may work.

If everything is fetched at the beginning and clicking the
tab just changes what is displayed purely client side, then
it is a problem.

Unless someone actually knows Struts Menu, then we need more
info to avoid guessing too much.

In general I think there is a lot better AJAX support for JSF
than for Struts.

Arne- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to both of you . . .

With the assistance you both provided I was able to get this working
properly now . . . more questions to follow . . .

Thanks Again!!

Andy