Stumped with a CPAN/CPANPLUS failure

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Ville Walveranta, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. I'm trying to get CPAN or, preferably CPANPLUS working on a dual-CPU
    FreeBSD 4.8 server (with plenty of free memory), and have ran into a
    problem that I don't appear to resolve. Either of the utilities
    experiences a core dump during it's operation:

    Output from CPAN:
    ---
    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.61)
    ReadLine support enabled

    cpan> get Net::DNS
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
    Fetching with LWP:
    ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
    CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    ---

    and CPANPLUS (both 0.043 and 0.045 behave the same way):
    ---
    CPANPLUS::Shell::Default -- CPAN exploration and modules installation
    (v0.03)
    *** Please report bugs to <>.
    *** Using CPANPLUS::Backend v0.045. ReadLine support enabled.

    CPAN Terminal> m Net::DNS
    Checking if source files are up to date
    Gunzipping /root/.cpanplus/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    ---

    Since the problem often appears to occur when CPAN/CPANPLUS is
    gunzipping files, I upgraded gzip to the latest version in ports,
    `gzip --version' produces...

    ---
    gzip 1.3.5
    (2002-09-30)
    Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation
    Copyright 1992-1993 Jean-loup Gailly
    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    You may redistribute copies of this program
    under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
    For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
    Compilation options:
    DIRENT UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H HAVE_MEMORY_H HAVE_STRING_H
    HAVE_LSTAT ASMV
    Written by Jean-loup Gailly.
    ---

    The system has Perl 5.8 (installed from the ports collection) that
    appears to be working otherwise. I've tried with numerous combinations
    of configuration options including "-j3" for CPANPLUS for dual CPUs,
    internal MALLOC for Perl, etc.

    On the parallel server with largely the same configuration (though
    FreeBSD 4.6.3) both CPAN and CPANPLUS work ok. The system that is
    experiencing problems with the utilities was recently upgraded from
    4.7 to 4.8 as one of the attempts to resolve this problem, but it had
    no effect (Perl was recompiled afterwards; `make test' produced no
    errors).

    After CPANPLUS has been configured, `make test' yields the following
    result, ending in an error while probing dependencies:

    ---
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Backend/RV.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Shell/Default.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Tools/Module.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Tools/Load.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Backend.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Styleguide.pod (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Report.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/I18N/CPANPLUS.pot (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/FAQ.pod (unchanged)
    cp lib/CPANPLUS/Config.pm blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Config.pm
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Tools/Cmd.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Tools/Term.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Utils.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Shell.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Module.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Install.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Source.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Configure/Setup.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Fetch.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Module/Status.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Shell/Classic.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Tools/Check.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Configure.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Config.pm-orig (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/I18N.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Make.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Search.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Extract.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/Author.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Internals/System.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/Error.pm (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/TesterGuide.pod (unchanged)
    Skip blib/lib/CPANPLUS/I18N/fr.po (unchanged)
    /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
    --config=-skiptest,1,-prereqs,1,-do_once,1
    --installdeps=File::RsyncP,0,CPANPLUS::Shell::Curses,0.02,CPANPLUS::Shell::Tk,0.02
    *** Installing dependencies...
    Checking if source files are up to date
    Gunzipping /root/.cpanplus/01mailrc.txt.gz
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    *** Error code 139

    Stop in /usr/local/src/CPANPLUS-0.045.
    ---

    Installing any of the modules from the ports seems to work without any
    problems, only CPAN/CPANPLUS shell interfaces fail.

    Any ideas as to what I could try next? Also, if this is not the right
    place to ask this question, please point me to the right direction.

    Thanks for any advice!

    Ville Walveranta

    Ville Walveranta, Oct 27, 2003

  2. (Ville Walveranta) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm trying to get CPAN or, preferably CPANPLUS working on a dual-CPU
    > FreeBSD 4.8 server (with plenty of free memory), and have ran into a
    > problem that I don't appear to resolve. Either of the utilities
    > experiences a core dump during it's operation:

    > CPAN Terminal> m Net::DNS
    > Checking if source files are up to date
    > Gunzipping /root/.cpanplus/01mailrc.txt.gz
    > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    > ---

    I'm answering to my own question since this problem was solved...
    maybe the answer will help someone. As the port for the new version of
    Perl (5.8.1) appeared in FreeBSD ports collection update, I installed
    it and... CPAN and CPAN++ shells started working, too! I'm not sure
    whether there was an actual bug with 5.8.0 since I had the shells
    working ok on a parallel system running 5.8.0. Maybe the fact that I
    reinstalled Perl helped (though I had done so few times using 5.8.0 on
    the system that was having problems).

    // Ville

    Ville Walveranta, Nov 7, 2003