Stupid question for you all....

K8CPA

Hi Guys,

I've got a question from a stupid question from a clueless computer
operator's standpoint.

I use Windows XP. SP2, and I've got all these neat little programs.
What language do they
program these neat little programs in, like Skype, Yahoo IM, AOL IM,
GAIM, Weatherbug, all
these neato programs... I'd like to do some programming and do an
freeware program for amateur radio. but I'm freakin' clueless as to how
to program... I mean, I learned to use a stinkin' computer, I should be
able to learn to program, Any suggestions? Books to read? Software to
get? Just want some feedback from the pro's.

thanks guys...

-Chuck

Victor Bazarov

K8CPA said:
I've got a question from a stupid question from a clueless computer
operator's standpoint.
Aha...

I use Windows XP. SP2, and I've got all these neat little programs.
What language do they
program these neat little programs in, like Skype, Yahoo IM, AOL IM,
GAIM, Weatherbug, all
these neato programs...

Is that the quesion you wanted to ask? Only those who write those neat
little programs could tell you exactly.
I'd like to do some programming and do an
freeware program for amateur radio. but I'm freakin' clueless as to
how to program... I mean, I learned to use a stinkin' computer, I
should be able to learn to program, Any suggestions? Books to read?

"Programming for Dummies", maybe?
Software to get? Just want some feedback from the pro's.

Take a class from your local community college. That's probably the
best way to start for one who is [claiming to be] clueless.

Phlip

K8CPA said:
I've got a question from a stupid question from a clueless computer
operator's standpoint.

I use Windows XP. SP2, and I've got all these neat little programs.
What language do they
program these neat little programs in, like Skype, Yahoo IM, AOL IM,
GAIM, Weatherbug, all

Probably C++.
these neato programs... I'd like to do some programming and do an
freeware program for amateur radio.

Don't use C++. (Many here follow that advice for many of their programs.)

Use Ruby. It's designed to easily learn, and you can eventually write big
powerful programs with it:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/
Books to read?

That installer comes with a book in PDF that teaches nearly everything
needed to get started.

And please don't post questions about Ruby here ;-)

Jim Langston

K8CPA said:
Hi Guys,

I've got a question from a stupid question from a clueless computer
operator's standpoint.

I use Windows XP. SP2, and I've got all these neat little programs.
What language do they
program these neat little programs in, like Skype, Yahoo IM, AOL IM,
GAIM, Weatherbug, all
these neato programs... I'd like to do some programming and do an
freeware program for amateur radio. but I'm freakin' clueless as to how
to program... I mean, I learned to use a stinkin' computer, I should be
able to learn to program, Any suggestions? Books to read? Software to
get? Just want some feedback from the pro's.

I would guess that most of those were written in C or C++ although other
languages could be used. But for a ham program I would suggest a higher
level langauge, probably an interpreted one. Python is probably what I
would use just because I know it. I've heard Ruby kicked about but never
used it myself.

What would this program do? It might already be out there.

KF6OQZ

K8CPA

Howdy again... this is what I am wanting to do... see below... and I'm
already downloading visual basic 2005 express edition... I'll post over
there and see what kinda responses I get...

73 and tnx..

-Chuck K8CPA

====