stylesheet problem

rf

Els said:
A program. No handcoding?
None.

I won't comment on the quality of the images ;-) (I read
your explanation for it in another thread or news group)
But may I comment on the layout?
Did you compare it to the pages I asked advice for?

Yes. I provide the URL only to expand your 9 dot box :)
If you would loose the subscriptions to the thumbs, it
wouldn't be all that bad,

I can't :-(
but only if you want them just
lined up. Now on a lot of my pages, I don't want the thumbs
just lined up. I want them lined up in a particular way.
Have a look at the old site (beware: flash screen, frames,
horizontal scrollbar, no doctype, no validation) to see more
pages, so you'll see what I mean.
url: http://www.rachelrijsdijk.com/

Yep. You will have to position those things manually.

Word does this in the word precessing arena, one can plonk a bunch of
thumbnails on a page and drag them around at will. There must be shareware
things out there that will do this for a web page...

Cheers
Richard.

Els

brucie said:
In post <[email protected]>
Els said...

your nuts doing 125 static pages. i wouldn't even use a preprocessor
for that many (although i did have a 27,000 static html page site once
because the server sucked). learn php and mysql.

Did I say static pages? ;-)
I use php. (I have Apache parse my html files as php.) Not
that much though, just to include everything but the part
that's different on each page.

MySQL. From what I understood so far, it's a database
program. Now, before I made the first site, about 8 months
ago, I think, I visited here, (I even remember your name
;-)), and asked about using a database for displaying pictures.
All the answers I got, were saying either that there wasn't
a way, or else, that I didn't need it.

I'll take that as a compliment ;-)
But you mean I could do that an easier way.
Am using php include, with only 4 different lines in each
page. (the 4 different lines are the forward link, back
link, picture, and caption)
The 600 pages are divided in little groups of between 3 and
28 pics, which should be linked in a 'circle', so you can
flip through them as pages, and see pic 1 after you reached
pic 28. So it's not like 600 pages in one chain. There are
as many chains as there are thumbnail pages..
How could I do it even easier?
no you wouldn't. the text will wrap in the container unless you do
something to stop it.

I know, but then the picture would not be on the exact same
height as the one next to it, that has less text. The
pictures differ in height themselves, they have to be
centered, and the text will be centered with it.
the longer site authors support crap browsers the longer people will
use them. there isn't going to be a new IE for about 2 years and it
wont be free. IE6 is already over 2 years old. theres no way in hell
i'm still going to support IE6 in 2005. i'm already using alternate
dumbed down designs for IE6.

So you're saying you are leaving the majority of regular
surfers (who never heard of IE, but use the blue E to
'internet') with less than the best possible visual design
to look at for the next couple of years?
Do you have an example site where I can see the difference
between the "alternate dumbed down design for IE6" and the
optimal design for other browsers? I'm curious now, to see
if I would find that an option.
you don't need to use absolute positioning, its just one of many
options css gives you.

But the only one to line up the thumbs the way I do now, or not?
very simple using different css templates.

Indeed. But I would have to use as many css templates, as I
am using table templates now, right?
absolutely not. your lack of skill and knowledge is dictating your
design methods.

ehh... yes. Or, no. Well, that is to say...
Absolute positioning would be a way that I can handle, but I
find it is more work than using a table. (for most pages,
some might me easier absolute positioning)
But what skills am I lacking to use another method?
You might not have guessed, but I think I am a fairly
intelligent person, and don't think I'd have a problem with
learning whatever skill needed involving my computer. ;-)
But I'm also a 'lazy' person. I'll only start learning
something, if I think I need to.
(if you can convince me php has everything to let me get
this site up with less effort than I'm doing now, I'll start
learning tonight)

brucie

*ahem* corporate/institutional desktops - they are very conservative when
it comes to adopting new technology, and their users often don't have a
choice of what software they can run.

not my problem. my sites work as long as the device supports html. if
they choose to or are stuck using a crap browser that is their
problem. if they want pretty they keep up to date. i'm sick of jumping
through hoops to support the brain dead of this planet.
Not to mention dial-up users that find it difficult to install a new
browser because of how long it takes to download.

tell me about it. i'm on 14.4k but its interesting to note opera is
less then 4Mb with slightly better standards support and just as many
goodies as Moz1.4 (13Mb) and both are waaaaaay in front of IE (25Mb).
whats with all the bloat?
Most don't even know what browser version they are running.

as i said, i'm not interested in the brain dead. a computer/internet
device *is not* television. they'll have to learn to think for
themselves again and actually make decisions (if they're capable)
instead of having their thinking done for them.

(i recently had an AOL client for 5 weeks - i'm a little stressed.)
If your site looks weird in IE6 two years from now, will they blame it on
you or their browser?

thats already the case with NS4.x users. i'm doing my best to have
them all killed.
Considering the next Microsoft OS won't likely be out until 2005,

my guess is around 2007 going on how late win95/98 were and then you
have the issue of people bothering to pay for the new OS. XP has been
a sales disappointment because a lot were happy with 95/98. i would
guess the vast majority of people only use XP because a new system
came with it.
I wager IE6 will be a mainstream browser for 5 more years *at least*. Kind
of depressing, if you ask me.

only if you're silly enough to continue support for it. its like
currently designing your sites for NS2.

Dylan Parry

brucie said:
IE (25Mb). whats with all the bloat?

That's to account for their damn marquee proprietary element and probably
their "we support crap webmasters and crap code" error correction!

rf

Jochen Fuhrmann said:

Bmp images are not compressed and so are an order of magnitude bigger than
gifs of jpegs.

Only a select few browsers support bmps.

Or were you asking about the background attribute. Well, once again, only a
select few browsers support that attribute on other than the body element.
In any case background is a presentational issue and should be relegated to
CSS.

Cheers
Richard.

Jochen Fuhrmann

rf said:
Bmp images are not compressed and so are an order of magnitude bigger than
gifs of jpegs.

yeah, but the jpeg compressen would destroy my pic, lossles jpeg would be ok,
but thats the same as bmp ... excapt that it, because the pic is 15x15 and jpeg
works with 8x8 pixelblocks, will maybe loose information although it's lossless
jpeg.

jochen

brucie

| header('Author: brucie © 2003');
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Author isn't a defined header, as per
HTTP/1.1 (which you appear to be using). Perhaps X-Author would be more
appropriate?

<quote>
[...]The extension-header mechanism allows additional entity-header
fields to be defined without changing the protocol, but these fields
cannot be assumed to be recognizable by the recipient. Unrecognized
header fields SHOULD be ignored by the recipient and MUST be forwarded
by transparent proxies.
</quote>

7.1 Entity Header Fields
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Sean Jorden

yeah, but the jpeg compressen would destroy my pic, lossles jpeg would
be ok, but thats the same as bmp ... excapt that it, because the pic
is 15x15 and jpeg works with 8x8 pixelblocks, will maybe loose
information although it's lossless jpeg.

15 X 15 = 225

GIF = 256 possible colors

Toby A Inkster

brucie said:
<quote>
[...]The extension-header mechanism allows additional entity-header
fields to be defined without changing the protocol, but these fields
cannot be assumed to be recognizable by the recipient. Unrecognized
header fields SHOULD be ignored by the recipient and MUST be forwarded
by transparent proxies.
</quote>

7.1 Entity Header Fields
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Whereas an "Author" header, as it's not in the RFC at all, cannot be
assumed to be recognizable by the recipient, and may cause unpredictable
behaviour by the recipient and any proxies. I think "X-Author" is a safer
bet.

Toby A Inkster

Els said:
Did I say static pages? ;-)
I use php. (I have Apache parse my html files as php.) Not
that much though, just to include everything but the part
that's different on each page.

That is a very basic function that PHP can do, but it is capable of so
much more!

What you need to do is set up a database table something like this:

filename | imageX | imageY | thumbX | thumbY | desc
image001 | 260 | 320 | 39 | 48 | Picture of a duck.

This needn't be in a proper SQL database. You could theoretically use a
flat file (CSV for instance).

Then have a script called gallery.php that reads a value 'start' from the
query string, eg:

http://www.example.net/gallery.php?start=1

and reads the lines from the table from start to start+11, eg in this
example 1 to 12.

Gallery.php then generates some kind of thumbnail gallery from the info in
the table.

Perhaps I will have a go at building an example...

brucie

<quote>
[...]The extension-header mechanism allows additional entity-header
fields to be defined without changing the protocol, but these fields
cannot be assumed to be recognizable by the recipient. Unrecognized
header fields SHOULD be ignored by the recipient and MUST be forwarded
by transparent proxies.
</quote>

7.1 Entity Header Fields
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
Whereas an "Author" header, as it's not in the RFC at all, cannot be
assumed to be recognizable by the recipient, and may cause unpredictable
behaviour by the recipient and any proxies.

if that was the case then they would be broken.
I think "X-Author" is a safer bet.

why? it makes no difference what the name of the header is. i could
have "hand-coded-by" and it would be the same as "X-Author" or
"Author". it would be just as unrecognizable by the recipient unless
the recipient was configured to make some use of the header and if it
isn't recognized then it should be ignored.

brucie

The 600 pages are divided in little groups of between 3 and
28 pics, which should be linked in a 'circle', so you can
flip through them as pages, and see pic 1 after you reached
pic 28. So it's not like 600 pages in one chain. There are
as many chains as there are thumbnail pages..
How could I do it even easier?

i would probably store in a DB the image name, page number, CSS file
name and text to go with that page number and the images. a single php
page could easily be used to display the "600 pages".

Toby A Inkster

brucie said:
Toby A Inkster said...

don't need image sizes, you can use getimagesize.

And compute, say, 10 image sizes per page request? No thanks. I'd rather
not waste CPU cycles. Easier to compute once, store and retrieve. It's not
like they're going to vary much.

Anyway, example as promised:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/gallery/

It's not particularly beautiful, but it demonstrates the basic idea.

There are a few obvious improvements, but they clutter up the example so I
leave them as an exercise for the reader. :)