Submit a form and open a popup at once

Timothy Madden

Hello all

I have a little problem and I hope it is simple.
I have a form on my page and I have to open a pop-up window with
the page serverd after the form submit. I know I can compose the URL myself
with the contents of the fields and do a simple window.open but I
must use POST, not GET.

And another question: Is there a better way to submit large fields
to the server without the POST method and without including the
contents in the URI, like GET ? I think it's ok to send large fields,
like files, with POST, but with GET how do I do this ? I can't
include the file's contents in the URI...

Michael Winter

I have a little problem and I hope it is simple.
I have a form on my page and I have to open a pop-up window with the
page serverd after the form submit. I know I can compose the URL myself
with the contents of the fields and do a simple window.open but I must
use POST, not GET.

Read the FAQ, particularly:

And another question: Is there a better way to submit large fields to
the server without the POST method and without including the contents in
the URI, like GET ? I think it's ok to send large fields, like files,
with POST, but with GET how do I do this ? I can't include the file's
contents in the URI...

There are no ways other than GET or POST[1].

Mike

[1] There are other method types, but they have different purposes.

Timothy Madden

Michael said:
Read the FAQ, particularly:
<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_37>

Ok, thanks, this may work, but I would rather not use frames
The target attribute is depricated. Are there maybe other ways too ?

And another question: Is there a better way to submit large fields to
the server without the POST method

There are no ways other than GET or POST[1].

Mike

Ok, so how does one submit several textareas, or several form fields from
a form that spans multiple pages ?

Michael Winter

Michael Winter wrote:

[posting a form to a new window with target attribute]
Ok, thanks, this may work, but I would rather not use frames

You wouldn't be using frames, but you would have to use Transitional HTML.
I understand, and share, your hesitation.
The target attribute is depricated. Are there maybe other ways too ?

I don't think so.
And another question: Is there a better way to submit large fields to
the server without the POST method

There are no ways other than GET or POST[1].

Ok, so how does one submit several textareas, or several form fields from
a form that spans multiple pages ?

A really horrible way to do it would be to place the data in the next page
as a series of hidden fields. A much nicer way would be to store the data
temporarily in a database using a session ID encoded in a cookie or the
search part of the URI.

Mike

Timothy Madden

Michael said:
Michael Winter wrote:

[posting a form to a new window with target attribute]
Ok, thanks, this may work, but I would rather not use frames

You wouldn't be using frames, but you would have to use Transitional HTML.
I understand, and share, your hesitation.
The target attribute is depricated. Are there maybe other ways too ?

I don't think so.
Ok, so how does one submit several textareas, or several form fields from
a form that spans multiple pages ?

A really horrible way to do it would be to place the data in the next page
as a series of hidden fields. A much nicer way would be to store the data
temporarily in a database using a session ID encoded in a cookie or the
search part of the URI.

Mike

Thank you
This is pretty much what I wanted to know
I think I can put it practice now :)