submit form via e-mail?

Mark Michel

Hi. I have made an html form which I would like to send by e-mail. When
the recipient receives the e-mail form, I would like them to be able to fill
it out and click the Submit button which will submit to an ASP page. This
ASP page contains the code to submit the form data to a database. The page
works fine when viewed through a browser, but the form will not submit in
Outlook 2002 (I haven't tried other mail programs). Any suggestions?

Mark

Ray at

What doesn't work about it? It should, if your users don't have form
submissions disabled in the restricted sites zone or something and if you
aren't trying to use javascript to submit the form.

But while this should work, you may not want to do this, unless you're in a
totally controlled environment, like this is for internal mail only, and you
know that every recipient will be using an e-mail client that this will work
with.

Ray at home

Mark Michel

Thanks for the advice, Ray. I don't seem to have form submissions disabled
in restricted sites zone. And I'm not using JS to submit the form. When I
open the mail in Outlook and click the "Submit Form" button, nothing
happens. As mentioned before, the form submits without issue when I view it
in a browser (IE).

I'm seriously considering your advice about not using this technique as I
will not be sending to users in a controlled environment. If you have any
other thoughts though, I'd like to hear them. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Ray at

I've tested this with method=get and method=post, and both work for me in
OL2002. It is possible that IE is just not taking focus when you submit the
form or something like that, but probably not. So, why it doesn't work, I
don't know. But, yeah, I think that your best bet is to use a web page. In
addition to the form issue, there are still people who cannot or do not
accept html messages. Especially when Outlook 2003 becomes more common,
there will be more people who convert HTML messages to plain text. At least
a link will still work in plain text.

Ray at work