submit stuff

Robin

Marc Bissonnette said:
Then why wouldn't you wait until it *does* work before posting it here ?

I didn't think of that, thanks...it works now...
regards,
-Robin

Matt Garrish

Robin said:
If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind of
perl site please submit it here:
http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html

note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within the
next few hours...

Since you seem to be incredibly bored, please run the following code and
don't post again until it's done:

print_time();

sub print_time {
print time, "\n";
print_time();
}

Matt

Anno Siegel

Robin said:
If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind of
perl site please submit it here:
http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html

note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within the
next few hours...

I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
for an access counter).

Looks like Matt's archive reborn.

Anno

Robin

(e-mail address removed)
--

Anno Siegel said:
I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
for an access counter).

one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

Chris Mattern

Robin said:
(e-mail address removed)
--

one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?
Why am I reminded of the Star Trek episode where Troi winds up

Chris Mattern

Tassilo v. Parseval

Also sprach Robin:
one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

Don't you think you should wait a little before you host your own
tutorials? Writing tutorials requires a certain level of expertise and
proficiency. Someone asking your questions doesn't yet have it.

I'd say that you need a couple of years to acquire that, like for
instance releasing and maintaining a few CPAN modules of your own. After
that, you are more than welcome to come back and announce tutorials.

Tassilo

Tad McClellan

Robin said:
one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

The way that the Perl FAQ says to.

perldoc -q "\block"

How can I lock a file?

Why can't I just open(FH, ">file.lock")?

I still don't get locking. I just want to increment the number
in the file. How can I do this?

All I want to do is append a small amount of text to the end of
a file. Do I still have to use locking?