    --
    Regards,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 19, 2004

  2. "Robin" <> wrote in news:buf8ka$ja9$:

    > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind
    > of perl site please submit it here:
    > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    >
    > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within
    > the next few hours...

    Then why wouldn't you wait until it *does* work before posting it here ?

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com
    Marc Bissonnette, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "Marc Bissonnette" <> wrote in message
    > "Robin" <> wrote in news:buf8ka$ja9$:
    >
    > > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind
    > > of perl site please submit it here:
    > > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    > >
    > > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within
    > > the next few hours...

    > Then why wouldn't you wait until it *does* work before posting it here ?

    I didn't think of that, thanks...it works now...
    regards,
    -Robin
    Robin, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Robin

    Matt Garrish Guest

    "Robin" <> wrote in message
    > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind of
    > perl site please submit it here:
    > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    >
    > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within the
    > next few hours...

    Since you seem to be incredibly bored, please run the following code and
    don't post again until it's done:

    print_time();

    sub print_time {
    print time, "\n";
    print_time();
    }

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Robin

    Robin Guest

    haha...like I'll run that.

    --
    Regards,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Robin

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Robin <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind of
    > perl site please submit it here:
    > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    >
    > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within the
    > next few hours...

    I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
    no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
    for an access counter).

    Looks like Matt's archive reborn.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Robin

    Robin Guest

    --

    "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > Robin <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind

    of
    > > perl site please submit it here:
    > > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    > >
    > > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within

    the
    > > next few hours...

    > I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
    > no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
    > for an access counter).

    one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

    --
    Regards,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Robin wrote:

    > --
    >

    > one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

    Why am I reminded of the Star Trek episode where Troi winds up
    in command and asks, "What's a warp core breach?"

    Chris Mattern
    Chris Mattern, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Robin

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Robin <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > --
    >
    > "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > > Robin <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > > > If someone has a perl tutorial or reference or even links to some kind

    > of
    > > > perl site please submit it here:
    > > > http://www.reachcac.org/perl/contact.html
    > > >
    > > > note: the page that it goes to doesn't work yet, it should work within

    > the
    > > > next few hours...

    > > I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
    > > no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
    > > for an access counter).

    > one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

    This is ridiculous.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Jan 19, 2004
  10. John J. Trammell, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Robin

    Robin Guest

    "John J. Trammell" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:53:50 -0700, Robin <> wrote:
    > > one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?
    > >

    > Robin, you seem like a nice person, with good intentions.
    >
    > I highly recommend you study the following following document:

    ok, I'll check it out...
    peace,
    -Robin
    Robin, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Also sprach Robin:

    > "Anno Siegel" <-berlin.de> wrote in message

    >> I took a single glance at one of the scripts. No strict, no warnings,
    >> no checking of open(), sub-calls with "&", and no file locking (needed
    >> for an access counter).

    > one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

    Don't you think you should wait a little before you host your own
    tutorials? Writing tutorials requires a certain level of expertise and
    proficiency. Someone asking your questions doesn't yet have it.

    I'd say that you need a couple of years to acquire that, like for
    instance releasing and maintaining a few CPAN modules of your own. After
    that, you are more than welcome to come back and announce tutorials.

    Tassilo
    Tassilo v. Parseval, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Robin

    Matt Garrish Guest

    > Then you'll understand my answer: STFW.

    I think STFU, albeit a bit harsh, would also apply... : )

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Robin <> wrote:

    > one thing, what's file locking, how would one acomplish it?

    The way that the Perl FAQ says to.

    perldoc -q "\block"

    How can I lock a file?

    Why can't I just open(FH, ">file.lock")?

    I still don't get locking. I just want to increment the number
    in the file. How can I do this?

    All I want to do is append a small amount of text to the end of
    a file. Do I still have to use locking?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jan 19, 2004
  15. On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:17:57 -0500, Matt Garrish wrote:

    > I think STFU, albeit a bit harsh, would also apply... : )

    Search the Fine Usenet? :^)
    John J. Trammell, Jan 20, 2004