subprocess help

Влатко Станковиќ

Hello,
I'm having some sort of 'problem' when using subprocess calls.
This is the code snipet that i am using:

capture_server1 = '''xvfb-run --auto-servernum ... '''
server1_download =
subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(capture_server1),stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

out_s1, err_s1 = server1_download.communicate()

time.sleep(2)

capture_server2 = '''xvfb-run --auto-servernum .... '''
server2_download = subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(capture_server2),
stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

out_s2, err_s2 = server2_download.communicate()

The problem is the following:
- The program runs in a loop, where subprocess is called
- It runs for X days, sometimes 3 days, sometimes 5 days
- After that i get the following exception:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1091, in pipe_cloexec
r, w = os.pipe()
OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files

How can i reproduce this on a local machine, and how to make sure that i
wont have any errors like this?

P.S. Version 2.7 is used with this program

Steven D'Aprano

Hello,
I'm having some sort of 'problem' when using subprocess calls. This is
the code snipet that i am using:

capture_server1 = '''xvfb-run --auto-servernum ... '''
server1_download = subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(capture_server1),
stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

out_s1, err_s1 = server1_download.communicate()
time.sleep(2)

What's the difference between the server1 code (shown above) and the
server2 code (not shown, but identical as far as I can tell)?

[...]
The problem is the following:
- The program runs in a loop, where subprocess is called - It runs for X
days, sometimes 3 days, sometimes 5 days - After that i get the
following exception:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1091, in pipe_cloexec r, w
= os.pipe()
OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files

You have to identify what files are remaining open. What does the xvfb-
run process do? What are the rest of the arguments?

My guess is that, depending on the arguments, sometimes xvfb-run leaves
files open even after the process terminates. You should monitor the open
files with lsof which is available on most Linux systems. I don't know
how to do that on other operating systems.