Suggestions for best way of setting up a class

David Morris

I want to develop a class (or classes) to make it easier for my team to
develop applications. The trick is that our applications *have* to use
an interface to the back-end database which only works through a URL
post and returns data as an XML string.

Currently, we have our own "WebData" class which has all the methods
that we need to set up and do the comms with the web server (including
setting up the URL and submission data), but for whatever reason, it's
not as robust as it could be (it chucks out if the web server returns
something even slightly odd) so I'm going to re-implement it using bits
of the Jakarta commons libraries.

The question is, what's the best way of doing it? As we are generally
writing Swing applets or applications (for Webstart deployment), one
alternative would be to extend JFrame and JApplet, integrating the
necessary functionality. Alternatively, is there any way it could be
done with an Interface and some other form of support classes? Or,
something like an Adapter construct?

I can't help thinking there must be a better way of doing it than we are
at the moment, but I'm undecided which route to go down.

Any suggestions are welcome!