Sun JVM 1.4.2 collector queries

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kevin, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    (Posting this request here to see if anyone has any inputs)

    I have an application which has a heap size of 1536MB, newsize=576MB
    and Sun JDK 1.4.2_05. It currently uses the default garbage collector
    and verbosegc output shows tenured collection pauses which last upto
    6-7 seconds.

    I want to reduce this time and hence would like to try concurrent and
    also throughput collectors as the system has 6 CPUs. Couple of queries
    on this -

    1. Can I use concurrent and throughput collector with a heap size of
    1536 or should it used only for heap sizes much bigger ?
    2. Will simply changing the collector suffice or do I also need to
    change the newsize when I change the collector.

    Any inputs ?

    Note that I plan to upgrade to 1.4.2_11 shortly.

    Kevin.

    Kevin, Jan 11, 2007