Sun Mulls Joining Java Eclipse Effort

bluke

Sun may be joining Eclipse (EWeek article
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1236132,00.asp). At first glance
it seems like a good thing. However, it raises a number of troubling
questions.
1) Eclipse is based on SWT, does this mean SWT will now be part of
Java?
2) What does this mean for Swing?
3) Does this mean Netbeans is dead?

Competition is always good, and I believe that the competition between
Sun and IBM (Netbeans and Eclipse) spurred each to greater heights. If
Netbeans withers away who will push Eclipse?

Shripathi Kamath

bluke said:
Sun may be joining Eclipse (EWeek article
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1236132,00.asp). At first glance
it seems like a good thing. However, it raises a number of troubling
questions.
1) Eclipse is based on SWT, does this mean SWT will now be part of
Java?

Hope that it will only be more so. SWT, imho, has the right idea for
producing GUIs that more closely resemble the aesthetically appealing GUIs
specific to a platform. And maintain x-compatibility.
2) What does this mean for Swing?

It will, imho, be eliminated by laws of Natural Selection should SWT get
adopted, and supported by Sun. Will take a while, though.
3) Does this mean Netbeans is dead?

Probably not.

Tim Tyler

: Sun may be joining Eclipse (EWeek article
: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1236132,00.asp). At first glance
: it seems like a good thing. However, it raises a number of troubling
: questions.
: 1) Eclipse is based on SWT, does this mean SWT will now be part of
: Java?
: 2) What does this mean for Swing?
: 3) Does this mean Netbeans is dead?

I reckon: no, nothing, and no, respectively.

Eclipse was payrolled by IBM.

If it becomes a separate entity, will it be able to fund itself,
or will it still rely on sponsorship?

Tricia Bushnell

1) Eclipse is based on SWT, does this mean SWT will now be part of

Unfortunately prolly not.
2) What does this mean for Swing?

Not much if anything.
3) Does this mean Netbeans is dead?
Doubtful.

Competition is always good, and I believe that the competition between
Sun and IBM (Netbeans and Eclipse) spurred each to greater heights. If
Netbeans withers away who will push Eclipse?

How did Netbeans spur Eclipse to greater heights?

Randy