Sun to Support Ruby

mazurr

Was at Sun Tech Days in Seattle today for a bit. Rich Green announced
that Sun will be supporting Ruby and Ruby on Rails. They have hired on
a few Ruby gurus to help the cause along. The JVM will become the VM
(less the "J") and interpret Java and Ruby....and perhaps other
languages down the road.

They are currently working on support for Ruby in Netbeans, and (if I
heard correctly) plan for some form of Ruby support in Netbeans 5.5.

Sounds cool to me. Opinions?

Rob

p.s. Also saw more of how Project Looking Glass was shaping up during
a Sun Spot demo. The desktop looked a lot cooler today than the demos
found at Sun ( http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xml )

Chris Brat

Hi,

Was at Sun Tech Days in Seattle today for a bit. Rich Green announced
that Sun will be supporting Ruby and Ruby on Rails. They have hired on
a few Ruby gurus to help the cause along. The JVM will become the VM
(less the "J") and interpret Java and Ruby....and perhaps other
languages down the road.

They are currently working on support for Ruby in Netbeans, and (if I
heard correctly) plan for some form of Ruby support in Netbeans 5.5.

Do you have a link where we can read up more on the this ?
Is this support intended after Mustang or will it tie in with the
scripting framework in Mustang?

Thanks
Chris

IchBin

Was at Sun Tech Days in Seattle today for a bit. Rich Green announced
that Sun will be supporting Ruby and Ruby on Rails. They have hired on
a few Ruby gurus to help the cause along. The JVM will become the VM
(less the "J") and interpret Java and Ruby....and perhaps other
languages down the road.

They are currently working on support for Ruby in Netbeans, and (if I
heard correctly) plan for some form of Ruby support in Netbeans 5.5.

Sounds cool to me. Opinions?

Rob

p.s. Also saw more of how Project Looking Glass was shaping up during
a Sun Spot demo. The desktop looked a lot cooler today than the demos
found at Sun ( http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xml )

There has been a Ruby plugin for Eclipse for close to a one and a half
years now.

http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/download.rdt.html

mazurr

Chris said:
Do you have a link where we can read up more on the this ?
Is this support intended after Mustang or will it tie in with the
scripting framework in Mustang?

Thanks
Chris

No, I was a bit surprised that I could not yet find a link for this
info. It seemed substantial enough to me to warrant being in Google
News or something.

Rich Green joked a moment, pulling out a index card of notes, saying he
wanted to be sure he got this announcement right. He read off two
names of people Sun has brought on-board to help with supporting
Ruby...I didn't recognize them. But that's not saying much.

I hope perhaps the slides from Rich's keynote will get posted
somewhere. It showed graphically how the JVM was evolving to the VM,
and showed Java and Ruby right along aside each other as supported
languages.

I had to return to work after Rich's keynote and the following demos.
Was anyone else there that was able to go to more sessions and heard
more about this?

Rob

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Was at Sun Tech Days in Seattle today for a bit. Rich Green announced
that Sun will be supporting Ruby and Ruby on Rails. They have hired on
a few Ruby gurus to help the cause along. The JVM will become the VM
(less the "J") and interpret Java and Ruby....and perhaps other
languages down the road.

They are currently working on support for Ruby in Netbeans, and (if I
heard correctly) plan for some form of Ruby support in Netbeans 5.5.

Sounds cool to me. Opinions?

The current trend is that all script languages
must be converted to run on both Java and .NET
platform. When it is Java they start with a J.
When it is .NET it start with Iron (for reasons
I do not know).

Options is always a good thing, so it is per
definition fine that JRuby exists.

I do not expect its usage to be that big.

RoR is so hot nowadays, so ofcourse SUN wants
to get some PR as well.

I am not particular impressed with RoR.

I do see a usage for script languages
like Python and Ruby.

Arne

jmcgill

Sounds cool to me. Opinions?

Rails is what's so great about Ruby. If your application happens to fit
into the highly opinionated domain of problems addressed by Rails, it's
a fabulously effective enabling technology.

Rails "got lucky" in that the area where it fits, essentially as a
domain specific language for web based applications with a simple
database backend and a rich-hypertext front end, happens to be a
widespread idiom today. I've already seen Rails making it possible for
people who aren't really programmers at all, to create web applications
from start to finish, allowing them to think almost completely in the
"creative design" and "idea" domains, and very little in terms of
implementation details.

This is a fairly significant development, although some dismiss it
entirely, I assume because they want to develop applications that do not
fit in Rails' highly opinionated domain -- and they have no compelling
reason to use Ruby lacking a good fit for a Rails application.