    Anyone got any ideas?

    Edward
    , Oct 13, 2005

  2. Nope... you are probably out of luck, especially since it's a Web interface.
    You would have to have some sort of client addin/component built and
    installed but in the end even that may not help since the scanner simply
    emulates a keyboard.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Lucas Tam Guest

    wrote in news:1129216453.891262.133020
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I posted yesterday about a project I'm involved in to build a login
    > application using a barcode scanner.
    >
    > I've solved most of the problems, but one remains. The client want to
    > disable keyboard input (except at some remote sites where there won't
    > be a scanner). The session "knows" whether that site should be
    > keyboard enabled, but unfortunately the output from the scanner is in
    > the form of keypresses! So any attempt to capture and suppress
    > physical keypresses in script cannot differentiate between keyboard and
    > scanner.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas?

    With IE, you cannot disable ALL keystrokes anyways.

    If there is a such a requirement, you might want to consider using a
    winforms login page instead... and somehow tie it into your web app.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Newmarket Volvo Sucks! http://newmarketvolvo.tripod.com
    Lucas Tam, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Bruce Barker Guest

    you would need an write active/x control. you would then plug the scanner
    into a seperate serial port (not the keyboard). the active/x control would
    then poll the scanner's serial port for input, and raise an event on input
    for client script to handle. you would use a hidden field that the client
    script used to post the login id, so the keyboard would be disabled.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Oct 13, 2005

    Bruce Barker wrote:
    > you would need an write active/x control. you would then plug the scanner
    > into a seperate serial port (not the keyboard). the active/x control would
    > then poll the scanner's serial port for input, and raise an event on input
    > for client script to handle. you would use a hidden field that the client
    > script used to post the login id, so the keyboard would be disabled.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Thanks to you and to all other respondents. It's a fixed price
    contract and we've agreed the work, so I'll just tell them to remove
    the keyboard. That's the easiest solution, and the most foolproof
    (until the scanner goes AWOL).

    Edward
    , Oct 13, 2005
  6. tehka

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I am needing to implement a similar feature in my VB program.

    Perhaps this is not really impossible after all. My idea is by assuming that the human cannot type faster than a barcode reader. If let us say we are scanning a string of 10 characters long, the barcode reader could do it in 0.5 seconds while a human is assumed to be able to type it in 2 seconds.

    So from the first character typed, we add a timer. If the complete string is not inserted within that time frame, then it will time out. let me know what you think
    tehka, Sep 5, 2006