Survey: What IDEs do people use?

Jonathan Turkanis

Hi All,

I hope this is not too far off topic here, but I can't think off any place where
it would be exactly on topic.

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are. I'm particularly
interested to know how widely used are Borland C++BuilderX (on various operating
systems) and Bloodshed Dev-CPP. I'd also like to know what C++ IDE people think
is best for Linux.

Obviously this is not a scientific survey -- I don't have the time or funding
for that. But I'd like to get some rough idea of people's opinions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

Larry I Smith

Jonathan said:
Hi All,

I hope this is not too far off topic here, but I can't think off any place where
it would be exactly on topic.

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are. I'm particularly
interested to know how widely used are Borland C++BuilderX (on various operating
systems) and Bloodshed Dev-CPP. I'd also like to know what C++ IDE people think
is best for Linux.

Obviously this is not a scientific survey -- I don't have the time or funding
for that. But I'd like to get some rough idea of people's opinions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

IF you are looking for a GUI IDE with integrated debugger support,
there are several, but Anjuta (for gnome) and KDevelop (for
KDE, gnome, and several others) are the 2 most often used.
KDevelop in particular is similar to the MS-Visual* IDE's
found on Windows - similar as far as the IDE's GUI style is
concerned.

I haven't used Anjuta in about 2 years, so I can't speak to
its latest features, but I use KDevelop a lot.

Many Linux distros include one, or both, of these IDE's.

Below are the links. Both sites include screenshots
(at the top for Anjuta, and in the left-hand menu-pane
for KDevelop), docs, etc.

http://www.kdevelop.org/

http://anjuta.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Larry

Regards,
Larry

John Carson

Jonathan Turkanis said:
Hi All,

I hope this is not too far off topic here, but I can't think off any
place where it would be exactly on topic.

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are. I'm
particularly interested to know how widely used are Borland
C++BuilderX (on various operating systems) and Bloodshed Dev-CPP. I'd
also like to know what C++ IDE people think is best for Linux.

Obviously this is not a scientific survey -- I don't have the time or
funding for that. But I'd like to get some rough idea of people's
opinions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

VC++. I have never seriously used anything else. I use VC++ because:

1. It is pretty good.
2. I figure that Microsoft is successful partly because its knowledge of the
OS gives it the inside track in other development areas. Using Microsoft's
compiler/IDE/documentation is the closest someone outside Microsoft can get
to an inside track.

Espen Myrland

Jonathan Turkanis said:
Hi All,

I hope this is not too far off topic here, but I can't think off any place where
it would be exactly on topic.

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are. I'm particularly
interested to know how widely used are Borland C++BuilderX (on various operating
systems) and Bloodshed Dev-CPP. I'd also like to know what C++ IDE people think
is best for Linux.

gcc + gdb + emacs + man

Steven T. Hatton

Jonathan said:
Hi All,

I hope this is not too far off topic here, but I can't think off any place
where it would be exactly on topic.

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are. I'm
particularly interested to know how widely used are Borland C++BuilderX
(on various operating systems) and Bloodshed Dev-CPP. I'd also like to
know what C++ IDE people think is best for Linux.

Obviously this is not a scientific survey -- I don't have the time or
funding for that. But I'd like to get some rough idea of people's
opinions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan

I have a lot of hope for the future of KDevelop, but right now, it doesn't
behave in a way that enhances my personal development preferences. It also
has a serious problem talking to my SVN server, and does not yet integrate
well with QT4-rc1, so for now I use Emacs, bash, qmake (and/or autotools),
svn commandline and gdb(I'm just learning). I'm beginning to view the
Unix-like environment as an IDE. Not quite in the sense of those provided
by Borland, Eclipse, VC++, etc., but once the tools are understood, the
collection provides almost the same convenience as a more unified IDE, with
far more flexibility.

I've been spending a good bit of time studying the code base for KDevelop,
and hope to contribute to it in the future. It proved very useful to me in
the firest weeks working with C++ because it set up my header, and
implementation files in a way that worked, and also set up the build
environment. I was then able to examine what it produced in order to learn
how it was done.

The highmark in IDEs I have used is Borland's JBuilder. I know it's not
C++, but after using JBuilder, I can see the limitations in any of the C++
IDEs I looked at. I downloaded VC++ 2005 beta, and was willing to provide
feedback, but it's so broken as to be unusable.

Steven T. Hatton

John said:
VC++. I have never seriously used anything else. I use VC++ because:

1. It is pretty good.
2. I figure that Microsoft is successful partly because its knowledge of
the OS gives it the inside track in other development areas. Using
Microsoft's compiler/IDE/documentation is the closest someone outside
Microsoft can get to an inside track.

Oh, but, but, but...Oh, nevermind.

Bob Hairgrove

The highmark in IDEs I have used is Borland's JBuilder. I know it's not
C++, but after using JBuilder, I can see the limitations in any of the C++
IDEs I looked at. I downloaded VC++ 2005 beta, and was willing to provide
feedback, but it's so broken as to be unusable.

You know that Borland is dropping JBuilder and moving to Eclipse now?

Go to: http://tinyurl.com/dodlt and search in the current page for
"Eclipse".

Steven T. Hatton

Bob said:
You know that Borland is dropping JBuilder and moving to Eclipse now?

Go to: http://tinyurl.com/dodlt and search in the current page for
"Eclipse".

That's a shame. I like JBuilder far more than I like Eclipse. I believe
part of the problem Borland is facing is that Java is designed in such a
way to make it relatively easy to provide many of the features that used to
distinguish JBuilder from other tools. But I haven't done any Java coding
in over a year, so I'm a bit out of the loop on the current state of
affairs.

Phil Endecott

I'd like to get some sense of how widely used certain IDEs are.

I have been an Emacs user, if not exactly an enthusiast, for 15 years or
so. Last week I "upgraded" my Debian Linux box and the Emacs
installation has been somewhat trashed. So I thought to myself, what
better opportunity to look at some of the more 21st-century IDEs.

Yesterday I installed KDevelop (version 3.2, from the Debian packages).
It looks OK; there's obviously a learning curve, but something that is
too quick to learn may turn out to be superficial in the long term. I
was not unimpressed and imported one of my current projects. It seems
happy to let me write my own Makefiles and doesn't "get in the way" of
the underlying tools.

BUT... then it crashed. I clicked OK on a preferences dialog and boom,
the window was gone. That's not acceptable; Emacs has never done that
to me.

So I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe this thread will throw up some
ideas.

--Phil.

Starx

I use Visual C++ on windows. Mostly because I don't want to deal with
the full beast that is MFC programming. Programming is only a hobby
for me so I'd rather use the wizards.

KeithSpook

BUT... then it crashed. I clicked OK on a preferences dialog and boom,
the window was gone. That's not acceptable; Emacs has never done that
to me.

So I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe this thread will throw up some
ideas.

Yeah, I poked around with the linux IDE's and none of the ones I tested
were even close to emacs in terms of functionality or stability.
Anjuta and MonoDevelop are close, I guess. But I still stick with
emacs, or XEmacs on some platforms. VIM if I need it.

I use XCode on OS.X.

Rob

I am waiting for JetBrains (makers of IntelliJ) to do something for the
c++ community. After using IntelliJ for years is has been very
disappointing to have to use VS.