suspected cPickle memory leak

Discussion in 'Python' started by Al Franz, May 13, 2005.

  1. Al Franz

    Al Franz Guest

    I believe there is a memory leak in cPickle. I am using python2.2. I
    have a parallel code which uses array() and indices() from Numeric to
    massage data buffers before being sent and received by Pypar. Pypar
    subsequently uses cPickle to pickle the data. After many hours of
    execution, my code crashes with one of the following error messages
    (depending upon the run):

    a = zeros(shape, typecode, savespace)
    MemoryError: can't allocate memory for array

    or:

    s = dumps(x, 1)
    MemoryError: out of memory

    I have since modified my code to use a different data format so cPickle is
    no longer used from PyPar and now the code runs fine.

    -- Al Franz
    Computer Scientist
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    Al Franz, May 13, 2005