Sybase::CTLib ct_connect problem

somyasharma

Hi,

I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
was trying a simple script to start of.

but, my script exits with this error :

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
data.

Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
$SYBASE_OCS/config.

Looking for inputs.

Regards,
Somya Sharma

Ted Zlatanov

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:56:05 -0700 (PDT) (e-mail address removed) wrote:

s> Hi,
s> I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
s> was trying a simple script to start of.

s> but, my script exits with this error :

s> Open Client Message:
s> Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
s> Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
s> connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
s> data.

s> Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
s> external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
s> $SYBASE_OCS/config.

I've only used DBD::Sybase, but this error seems to be at the library
level. I've had problems with missing locale files; make sure
*everything* from the stock install of the client is in place and then
move things out of the way carefully if you need to save space. Here's
what we have in $SYBASE that works for us:

charset.gz charsets config interfaces loca.gz locales OCS-15_0 ocs.gz profile sqsh-2.1.4

By the way, sqsh is a very good way to cope with Sybase :)

Ted

somyasharma

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

The issue is somewhat baffling :(

I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
Thanks for the inputs though :)

Ted Zlatanov

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) (e-mail address removed) wrote:

s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(

Have you checked your environment carefully? What does
"use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?

s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
s> Thanks for the inputs though :)

You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
as $SYBASE points to it.

Ted

somyasharma

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) (e-mail address removed) wrote:

s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use  Sybase's CTLib.I
s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(

Have you checked your environment carefully?  What does
"use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?

s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
s> Thanks for the inputs though :)

You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
as $SYBASE points to it.

Ted

Hi Ted,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The Data Dumper produced expected output. for example, it showed the
following settings in the environment related to sybase :

'SYBASE' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient',
'SYBIN' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient/
OCS-1
2_5/bin',

'SYBASE_OCS' => 'OCS-12_5'

will try and configure it in a local temporary directory and update
you with the results.

Thanks for the inputs.

Best Regards,
Somya