    Regards,
    Somya Sharma
    , Sep 30, 2008

  2. Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:56:05 -0700 (PDT) wrote:

    s> Hi,
    s> I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
    s> was trying a simple script to start of.

    s> but, my script exits with this error :

    s> Open Client Message:
    s> Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
    s> Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
    s> connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
    s> data.

    s> Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
    s> external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
    s> $SYBASE_OCS/config.

    I've only used DBD::Sybase, but this error seems to be at the library
    level. I've had problems with missing locale files; make sure
    *everything* from the stock install of the client is in place and then
    move things out of the way carefully if you need to save space. Here's
    what we have in $SYBASE that works for us:

    charset.gz charsets config interfaces loca.gz locales OCS-15_0 ocs.gz profile sqsh-2.1.4

    By the way, sqsh is a very good way to cope with Sybase :)

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Sep 30, 2008

    Hi Ted,
    Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
    Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
    there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
    get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

    The issue is somewhat baffling :(

    I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
    sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
    Thanks for the inputs though :)

    On Sep 30, 9:27 pm, Ted Zlatanov <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:56:05 -0700 (PDT) wrote:
    >
    > s> Hi,
    > s> I am trying to use SyBase::CTLib with perl 5.6 and sybase ASE 12.5. i
    > s> was trying a simple script to start of.
    >
    > s> but, my script exits with this error :
    >
    > s> Open Client Message:
    > s> Message number: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1) SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (191)
    > s> Message String: ct_connect(): user api layer: external error: The
    > s> connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration
    > s> data.
    >
    > s> Can any one help in this regard? i have checked the existence of
    > s> external dependency file (ocs.cfg) in the directory $SYBASE/
    > s> $SYBASE_OCS/config.
    >
    > I've only used DBD::Sybase, but this error seems to be at the library
    > level.  I've had problems with missing locale files; make sure
    > *everything* from the stock install of the client is in place and then
    > move things out of the way carefully if you need to save space.  Here's
    > what we have in $SYBASE that works for us:
    >
    > charset.gz  charsets  config  interfaces  loca.gz  locales  OCS-15_0 ocs.gz  profile  sqsh-2.1.4
    >
    > By the way, sqsh is a very good way to cope with Sybase :)
    >
    > Ted
    , Sep 30, 2008
  4. Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) wrote:

    s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
    s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
    s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use Sybase's CTLib. I
    s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.

    s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(

    Have you checked your environment carefully? What does
    "use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?

    s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
    s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
    s> Thanks for the inputs though :)

    You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
    as $SYBASE points to it.

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Oct 1, 2008

    On Oct 1, 9:37 pm, Ted Zlatanov <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT) wrote:
    >
    > s> Thanks for the reply. Actually the scene is that if i use
    > s> Sybase::DBlib instead of CTlib, everything works fine. Adding to that,
    > s> there are lots of existing C++ components which use  Sybase's CTLib.I
    > s> get this error when i try to use Sybperl in a perl script.
    >
    > s> The issue is somewhat baffling :(
    >
    > Have you checked your environment carefully?  What does
    > "use Data::Dumper; print Dumper \%ENV" produce?
    >
    > s> I am trying this out in a very restricted environment,so not pretty
    > s> sure if i will be allowed to experiment with the $SYBASE directory.
    > s> Thanks for the inputs though :)
    >
    > You can just set things up in /var/tmp or any other directory, as long
    > as $SYBASE points to it.
    >
    > Ted

    Hi Ted,

    Sorry for the delayed response.

    The Data Dumper produced expected output. for example, it showed the
    following settings in the environment related to sybase :

    'SYBASE' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient',
    'SYBIN' => '/export/opt/sybocs/obOpnClt/default_5/etc/openclient/
    OCS-1
    2_5/bin',

    'SYBASE_OCS' => 'OCS-12_5'

    will try and configure it in a local temporary directory and update
    you with the results.

    Thanks for the inputs.

    Best Regards,
    Somya