    some mistakes is there any better syntax checker. Unrealistically, a
    standalone application were you paste in your code and it checks it. But
    anything other than the built in syntax checker will do.

    Jacob Grover, Jul 15, 2008

  2. On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Jacob Grover wrote:
    > I've been using the stupid built in syntax checker, it's been making
    > some mistakes is there any better syntax checker. Unrealistically, a
    > standalone application were you paste in your code and it checks it. But
    > anything other than the built in syntax checker will do.

    Uh... what?

    If the built-in syntax checker isn't catching an error... it's not an
    error. The "built-in syntax checker" is the interpreter itself.

    Unless you're talking about an IDE or something, in which case you
    should probably tell us what you mean...

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Jul 15, 2008

  3. Ben Bleything wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Jacob Grover wrote:
    >> I've been using the stupid built in syntax checker, it's been making
    >> some mistakes is there any better syntax checker. Unrealistically, a
    >> standalone application were you paste in your code and it checks it. But
    >> anything other than the built in syntax checker will do.

    > Uh... what?
    >
    > If the built-in syntax checker isn't catching an error... it's not an
    > error. The "built-in syntax checker" is the interpreter itself.
    >
    > Unless you're talking about an IDE or something, in which case you
    > should probably tell us what you mean...
    >
    > Ben

    Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

    Joel VanderWerf, Jul 15, 2008
  4. On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    > Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

    Ah, that's a good point. And further perhaps he means "gives better
    error messages", since we've probably all felt the pain of ruby -c
    telling us that there's a syntax error on the last (blank) line of the
    file.

    Ben

    Ben Bleything, Jul 15, 2008
  5. Jacob Grover

    Dave Bass Guest

    > On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    > Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

    ruby -cw surely!

    Ruby's error messages are horribly obscure compared with Perl's, which
    are really quite friendly. A typical one would be something like "(Blah
    blah blah) error. Maybe an unterminated string starting on line 42?" --
    which it usually is. Or "Class Thing not found. Maybe you forgot to
    include Thing.pm?" -- which is usually the case.

    Dave

    Dave Bass, Jul 16, 2008
  6. Jacob Grover

    Jacob Grover Guest

    Re: Syntax Checker that's better than the normal syntax chec

    Dave Bass wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    >> Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

    > ruby -cw surely!
    >
    > Ruby's error messages are horribly obscure compared with Perl's, which
    > are really quite friendly. A typical one would be something like "(Blah
    > blah blah) error. Maybe an unterminated string starting on line 42?" --
    > which it usually is. Or "Class Thing not found. Maybe you forgot to
    > include Thing.pm?" -- which is usually the case.
    >
    > Dave

    Cool, now I can use it because I would look for an endless string or too
    little or too many ends and so on.

    Jacob Grover, Jul 18, 2008