syntax?

Sergei Shelukhin

Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
error and thus refuses to work.
The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;

What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
recognize.

Ala Qumsieh

Sergei said:
Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
error and thus refuses to work.
The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;

What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
recognize.

Somehow the text got garbled. Browsing through the source of that module
on CPAN, I see this:

my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;

--Ala

Brad Baxter

Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
error and thus refuses to work.
The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;

What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
recognize.

It should look like this:

my $col = GetCurrentColumnNumber($parser);
==> my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;
my $dosplit = $linepos < length($string);

Corruption perhaps?

Regards,

Brad

Paul Lalli

Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
error and thus refuses to work.
The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;

What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
recognize.

I'd say your copy of the module is corrupt. The copy on CPAN (first
result for searching for XML::parser::Expat) has this as line 368-369:

my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
my $ret;

Try re-downloading.

Paul Lalli