    What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
    work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
    recognize.

    Sergei Shelukhin, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Sergei Shelukhin

    Ala Qumsieh Guest

    Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

    > Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
    > error and thus refuses to work.
    > The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
    > my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
    >
    > What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
    > work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
    > recognize.

    Somehow the text got garbled. Browsing through the source of that module
    on CPAN, I see this:

    my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
    my $ret;

    --Ala

    Ala Qumsieh, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Sergei Shelukhin

    Brad Baxter Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

    > Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
    > error and thus refuses to work.
    > The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
    > my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
    >
    > What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
    > work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
    > recognize.

    It should look like this:

    my $col = GetCurrentColumnNumber($parser);
    ==> my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
    my $ret;
    my $dosplit = $linepos < length($string);

    Corruption perhaps?

    Regards,

    Brad

    Brad Baxter, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Sergei Shelukhin

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

    > Here's a line from a module I dled from CPAN today, on which it generates an
    > error and thus refuses to work.
    > The module is XML::parser::Expat, line 368.
    > my $ptr = ('=' my $ret;
    >
    > What is it supposed to mean? How do I correct this line so that it would
    > work? It seems to be osme kind of arcane suntax construct i fail to
    > recognize.

    I'd say your copy of the module is corrupt. The copy on CPAN (first
    result for searching for XML::parser::Expat) has this as line 368-369:

    my $ptr = ('=' x ($col - 1)) . '^' . "\n";
    my $ret;

    Try re-downloading.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jun 30, 2004