    Thanks for any help,
    Regards,
    Jan van Mansum.

    Jan van Mansum, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Jan van Mansum

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 16:46:06 +0200, Jan van Mansum <>
    wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
    > interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
    > examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
    > Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
    > functions I was trying to use, but no luck.
    >
    > I know that "syscalls.h" is not part of standard C. I also tried on
    > Linux, just to make sure that this is not a Cygwin-only problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Regards,
    > Jan van Mansum.

    System calls are, by definition, specific to the operating system and
    not part of the C language. As such they are off-topic and not
    discussed here. You need to ask about them in platform specific
    groups, such as news:comp.os.ms-windows.win32.programmer and

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

    Jack Klein, Jun 5, 2004

  3. "Jan van Mansum" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hello group,

    Hi,

    > I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
    > interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
    > examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
    > Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
    > functions I was trying to use, but no luck.

    Read chapter 8 several times, you'll find that you must provide the
    "syscalls.h" header.

    Regis

    Régis Troadec, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Jan van Mansum wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I am reading Chapter 8 from "The C Programming Language" about
    > interfacing with the Unix system. I wanted to try out some of the
    > examples on Cygwin. However, the header "syscalls.h" is not found in
    > Cygwin. I have tried to locate the declarations for the read and write
    > functions I was trying to use, but no luck.
    >
    > I know that "syscalls.h" is not part of standard C. I also tried on
    > Linux, just to make sure that this is not a Cygwin-only problem.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Regards,
    > Jan van Mansum.

    OK, it seems my copy of The Book is a bit outdated. Anyway I figured out
    that the calls I was looking for are defined in <sys/unistd.h>.

    Thanks anyway,
    Jan van Mansum.

    Jan van Mansum, Jun 5, 2004

  5. > Read chapter 8 several times, you'll find that you must provide the
    > "syscalls.h" header.
    >
    > Regis

    You're right, I didn't read it well. Thanks,
    regards,
    Jan van Mansum.

    Jan van Mansum, Jun 5, 2004