system idle process

George2

Hello everyone,

In your experience, what is system idle process doing? In my
experience, this means system is (CPU is waiting for) doing some I/O,

1. like hard page fault;
2. waiting for information from network.

Are there any other cases which will cause system idle process happen
and consume a non-neglitible percentage of CPU?

thanks in advance,
George

Tim H

Hello everyone,

In your experience, what is system idle process doing? In my
experience, this means system is (CPU is waiting for) doing some I/O,

1. like hard page fault;
2. waiting for information from network.

Are there any other cases which will cause system idle process happen
and consume a non-neglitible percentage of CPU?

This has nothing to do with C++, but the idle process is what your OS
does when it has nothing else to do. It's not "consuming" CPU at
all. If anything, it is probably putting the CPU into a sleep state.