System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid

Floela

I keep geting the exception:

System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

I get this when I try to pass a DataRow into an object method. The line that
causes this error is:

policy.SetValues(dr);

Here is part of the class that contains the method that I want to call:

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Collections;

namespace IDUL.Policies
{

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
public class Policy
{
private int _qid;
private int _cid;
private string _policy_number;
private string _inception_date;
private string _expiry_date;
private float _raw_premium;
private float _policy_fee;
private float _admin_fee;
private float _ipt;
private float _total_premium;
private bool _is_renewal;
private string _operator;
private string _date_quoted;
private bool _on_cover;
private string _on_cover_date;
private string _on_cover_operator;

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
public Policy()
{
Trace.Constructor("Policy()");
}

/// <summary>
/// </summary>
public Policy(DataRow dr)
{
Trace.EnterConst("Policy(dr)");

if (dr != null)
{
SetValues(dr);
}

Trace.LeaveConst("Policy(dr)");
}

public void SetValues(DataRow dr)
{
_qid = (int)dr["qid"];
_cid = (int)dr["cid"];
_policy_number = dr["policy_number"].ToString();
_inception_date = dr["inception_date"].ToString();
_expiry_date = dr["expiry_date"].ToString();
_raw_premium = (float)dr["raw_premium"];
_policy_fee = (float)dr["policy_fee"];
_admin_fee = (float)dr["admin_fee"];
_ipt = (float)dr["ipt"];
_total_premium = (float)dr["total_premium"];
_is_renewal = (bool)dr["is_renewal"];
_operator = dr["operator"].ToString();
_date_quoted = dr["date_quoted"].ToString();
_on_cover = (bool)dr["on_cover"];
_on_cover_date = dr["on_cover_date"].ToString();
_on_cover_operator = dr["on_cover_operator"].ToString();

The code that instantiates the class and calls the method is in here:

foreach (DataTable dt in dsPolicies.Tables)
{
foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
{
Policy policy = new Policy();

policy.SetValues(dr);

arrPolicies.Add(policy);

Any ideas what is causing this exception?

Jon Skeet

Floela said:
I keep geting the exception:

System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.

I get this when I try to pass a DataRow into an object method. The line that
causes this error is:

policy.SetValues(dr);

I'm sure that's one part of the stack, but I don't think that's going
to be the actual direct causal line. I suspect it's somewhere within
SetValues itself. Have you tried stepping through SetValues to see
where the exception is thrown?

Christian

I get this when I try to pass a DataRow into an object method. The line that
causes this error is:

policy.SetValues(dr);
Inside SetValues there are many cast without checking,
i wonder if they are all safe ???
public void SetValues(DataRow dr)
{
_qid = (int)dr["qid"];
_cid = (int)dr["cid"];
_raw_premium = (float)dr["raw_premium"];
_policy_fee = (float)dr["policy_fee"];
_admin_fee = (float)dr["admin_fee"];
_ipt = (float)dr["ipt"];
_total_premium = (float)dr["total_premium"];
_is_renewal = (bool)dr["is_renewal"];
_on_cover = (bool)dr["on_cover"];

Jon Skeet

Floela said:
SetValues is pretty simple - just assigning the values from the DataRow to
private variables within the class (see my original post). There's nothing
glaring as to where the problem could be within this method.

Yes there is - you've got lots of casts in SetValues. I'm sure it'll be
one of those which is failing.
No I haven't, as I'm actually coding the application using TextPad, not
VS.NET.

Ah. That's a pain. Can you print out a stack trace to show exactly
where it's failing?