System.IO.Ports.SerialPort

Guest

is there a way to embed the System.IO.Ports.SerialPort object in my html . so
that the client can access to a device connected to his SerialCOM ?

i tried to wrap the System.IO.Ports.SerialPort in my own component and then
put it in <object> but it doesnt seem to work, any suggestions?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I doubt the security sandbox of the user's browser would allow such a thing.
You'll probably need a thick client such as an ActiveX control or Windows
Forms application.

MSDN

You can run .NET components on the client side browser provided that your
client has the .NET framework installed and willing to allow you to do so.

SA

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

but the standard .net seetings would not allow the component to access
serial ports. the users will have to authorize your component to do this
using the caspol.exe utility.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

MSDN

Yes some security has to be set properly. I would use this in Intranet or
Wide-Intranet-Corp situations.

SA

Guest

so what do i need to write inside my <object> tag? what is the classid for
SerialPort?

Guest

i read the article and followed all the steps but the it doesnt work, im
using VS 2005 and the artitcle was in 2002 so maybe the project upgrade
ruined something. any way i still cant create the control i need, any
suggestions?