    And more generally, what should a validating parser do if a document does not
    break any WFC or VC but does not agree with a "Definition"?

    Mike.

    Mike Reed, Oct 1, 2003

  2. In article <ZBBeb.8756$>,
    Mike Reed <> wrote:
    > The
    >"rules" say it can be any valid character but the text also gives a
    >"Definition"
    >saying it is a URI conforming to RFC2396 and RFC2732.

    First, make sure that you are taking account of all the errata. There
    have been some amendments to the description of system identifiers.

    Bascially system identifiers are "IRIs", though there is not standard
    for that yet. That is, they are strings that are legal URIs after
    escaping certain characters.

    The natural approach is to defer most checking to the URI retrieval
    level, and treat errors as resource errors (and probably abort) rather
    than validity or well-formedness errors.

    -- Richard

    FreeBSD rules!

    Richard Tobin, Oct 1, 2003