system sound

Bill

Hi

Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without the
use of winamp or another client ?

thks

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Bill said:
Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without the
use of winamp or another client ?

Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.

PointedEars

Bill

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :
Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.

Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash animation
with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no way to
directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

Joost Diepenmaat

Bill said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :

Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash
animation with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no
way to directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

no. you can start a flash player and control *that*, though. IME most
other tricks (like using <embed> or <object> to load a sound file
directly in your page) are less reliable in practice, though they might
be used as fall-back methods.
Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

you'd need flash or something similar to do play melodies (instead of
just playing a single wav/mp3 containing the full melody). unless you
don't mind the timing being *way* off.

Bill

Joost Diepenmaat a écrit :
no. you can start a flash player and control *that*, though. IME most
other tricks (like using <embed> or <object> to load a sound file
directly in your page) are less reliable in practice, though they might
be used as fall-back methods.

you'd need flash or something similar to do play melodies (instead of
just playing a single wav/mp3 containing the full melody). unless you
don't mind the timing being *way* off.

Too bad, I hope either W3C or Sun have that feature in mind for a future
CSS or JS version.

Thanks

Tim B

Bill said:
Joost Diepenmaat a écrit :

Too bad, I hope either W3C or Sun have that feature in mind for a future
CSS or JS version.

Thanks

Sun has nothing to do with JavaScript