    Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without the
    use of winamp or another client ?

    thks

    Bill, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Bill wrote:
    > Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without the
    > use of winamp or another client ?

    Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Sep 19, 2008

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :
    > Bill wrote:
    >> Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without the
    >> use of winamp or another client ?

    > Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.

    Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash animation
    with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no way to
    directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

    Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

    Bill, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Bill <> writes:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to trigger a sound upon hovering a link but without
    >>> the use of winamp or another client ?

    >> Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.
    >>

    > Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash
    > animation with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no
    > way to directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

    no. you can start a flash player and control *that*, though. IME most
    other tricks (like using <embed> or <object> to load a sound file
    directly in your page) are less reliable in practice, though they might
    be used as fall-back methods.

    > Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

    you'd need flash or something similar to do play melodies (instead of
    just playing a single wav/mp3 containing the full melody). unless you
    don't mind the timing being *way* off.

    Joost Diepenmaat, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Joost Diepenmaat a écrit :
    > Bill <> writes:
    >
    >> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn a écrit :
    >>> Yes and no. A media player plugin is usually required.
    >>>

    >> Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash
    >> animation with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no
    >> way to directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

    > no. you can start a flash player and control *that*, though. IME most
    > other tricks (like using <embed> or <object> to load a sound file
    > directly in your page) are less reliable in practice, though they might
    > be used as fall-back methods.
    >
    >> Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

    > you'd need flash or something similar to do play melodies (instead of
    > just playing a single wav/mp3 containing the full melody). unless you
    > don't mind the timing being *way* off.

    Too bad, I hope either W3C or Sun have that feature in mind for a future
    CSS or JS version.

    Thanks

    Bill, Sep 19, 2008
  6. Bill

    Tim B Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Joost Diepenmaat a écrit :
    > > Bill <> writes:

    > >> Humm. I want to achieve the same effect as if it were a flash
    > >> animation with sound. It doesn't trigger a media player. There's no
    > >> way to directly pass a specialized parameter to the sound card ?

    > > no. you can start a flash player and control *that*, though. IME most
    > > other tricks (like using <embed> or <object> to load a sound file
    > > directly in your page) are less reliable in practice, though they might
    > > be used as fall-back methods.
    > >
    > >> Somewhat like we used to do with Basic ( .... data "1 3e 5f ...")

    > > you'd need flash or something similar to do play melodies (instead of
    > > just playing a single wav/mp3 containing the full melody). unless you
    > > don't mind the timing being *way* off.
    > >

    > Too bad, I hope either W3C or Sun have that feature in mind for a future
    > CSS or JS version.
    >
    > Thanks

    Sun has nothing to do with JavaScript

    Tim B, Sep 21, 2008