tableless design ==> practical problems???

Quarco

I know.. i know.. tables are not the best solution to solve things..
But... What about an auto-scaling table like:

<col />
<col width="400" />

I really tried to do that first with floating div's, but: then I had to work
with a <body onresize="setSize()"> function that recalculated the available
width and adjusted the content-div when window resized..But... then
again... FireFox complains it doesn't recognise onresize ....

So....
Do we really need to expell tables or do they provide some practical
functionallity????

Dutch regards,
Marco

Gregor Kofler

Quarco meinte:
I know.. i know.. tables are not the best solution to solve things..
But... What about an auto-scaling table like:

<col />
<col width="400" />

Fascinating markup. Anyway, where is the JS-related question?

Gregor

Quarco

"Which approach is the best (from DOM / css / standards / etc point of view)

:)

I had it to work with javascript and floating div's, but after trying these
(working) 8 lines of table-code I thought "Perhaps the javascript approach
is the wrong solution"..

Gregor Kofler

Quarco meinte:
"Which approach is the best (from DOM / css / standards / etc point of view)

Could you please stop top-posting. (And quoting sigs.)
:)

I had it to work with javascript and floating div's, but after trying these
(working) 8 lines of table-code I thought "Perhaps the javascript approach
is the wrong solution"..

CSS/HTML is sufficient. If you need JS you got it completely wrong.

Gregor