Tables misbehavin'

Matt Stanley

I am trying to build a page that scales to fit the browser window regardless
of size or resolution. The navigation on the top of the page is framed in
dark red/brown using CSS with a background color specified in a custom class
tag.

I only want those cells that are using this custom class to be 1 pixel wide.
In the code I did not specify the <td> width but instead inserted a
single-pixel, transparent GIF and specified the dimensions of that image as
1 pixel wide by 10 pixels tall. For some unknown reason, however, the cells
that act as dividers between the navigation boxes are 4 pixels wide.

Here's the URL to see what I mean:
http://myweb.cableone.net/mstanley/wda/clients/lbr/index.html

Why is it doing this???

TIA,

Stanman

Neal

I am trying to build a page that scales to fit the browser window
regardless
of size or resolution... Here's the URL to see what I mean:
http://myweb.cableone.net/mstanley/wda/clients/lbr/index.html

Why is it doing this???

This layout can be achieved with CSS, and then you have the benefit of
cleaner markup and more control over this type of issue. Don't use table
layout unless there's no other way to achieve what you need.

Plus, this table layout won't scrunch small enough w/o a scrollbar. Doing
it with CSS will give you better resizability.

Mitja

Matt Stanley said:
I am trying to build a page that scales to fit the browser window
regardless of size or resolution. The navigation on the top of the
page is framed in dark red/brown using CSS with a background color
specified in a custom class tag.

I only want those cells that are using this custom class to be 1
pixel wide. In the code I did not specify the <td> width but instead
inserted a single-pixel, transparent GIF and specified the dimensions
of that image as 1 pixel wide by 10 pixels tall. For some unknown
reason, however, the cells that act as dividers between the
navigation boxes are 4 pixels wide.

Here's the URL to see what I mean:
http://myweb.cableone.net/mstanley/wda/clients/lbr/index.html

Why is it doing this???

TIA,

Stanman

What Neal said.

Use CSS:
td {border-left=...}
and so on. Drop the spacer cells altogether - not needed. Drop &nbsp;s, use
margins (css) instead. etc, etc