Tabnanny errors when Migrating Python 2.4 code to 2.5

kyosohma

Hi,

When Python 2.5 first came out, I eagerly downloaded it and
immediately had issues with getting it to run my 2.4 code. So I just
stuck to 2.4. However, I decided this week that I really should try to
get 2.5 to work. Does anyone know why code that works perfectly for
months in a 2.4 environment throws indentation errors in 2.5?

And why does 2.5 default to indenting 8 characters instead of 4 in
IDLE? That's just weird. When I did a select all and did a Tabify
region, it indented everything 8 characters then too.

I haven't changed the configuration at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

John Machin

Hi,

When Python 2.5 first came out, I eagerly downloaded it and
immediately had issues with getting it to run my 2.4 code. So I just
stuck to 2.4. However, I decided this week that I really should try to
get 2.5 to work. Does anyone know why code that works perfectly for
months in a 2.4 environment throws indentation errors in 2.5?

No, not until you go to the bother of reproducing the problem with a
small file, tell us what platform you are on, how you are running this
code (IDLE, shell prompt, ...), how you installed Python 2.5
(2.5.1?), ...

kyosohma

No, not until you go to the bother of reproducing the problem with a
small file, tell us what platform you are on, how you are running this
code (IDLE, shell prompt, ...), how you installed Python 2.5
(2.5.1?), ...

I'm using Windows XP, using IDLE (which was mentioned already) and I
downloaded the 2.5.1 exe/msi file from python.org to install it.

I have yet to find a simple one which exhibits the issue to post. It
seems to happen to my complex files, not the simple ones.

Sorry to bother you.

Mike

John Machin

I'm using Windows XP, using IDLE (which was mentioned already)

in the context of editing/displaying code, not executing it. Does the
problem occur before or after you edit a file with IDLE?
and I
downloaded the 2.5.1 exe/msi file from python.org to install it.

What you downloaded doesn't answer the question about how you
installed it. Do you still have your 2.4 installation?
I have yet to find a simple one which exhibits the issue to post. It
seems to happen to my complex files, not the simple ones.

So chop up a complex file ...
Have you inspected the failing files using a text editor that can
display tabs and spaces (e.g. PythonWin, TextPad)?
Sorry to bother you.

You didn't bother me. You are bothering yourself by asking questions
without enough information to get reasonable answers.