    Thanks,

    Mike

    , Jan 4, 2008

  2. John Machin Guest

    On Jan 5, 3:56 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When Python 2.5 first came out, I eagerly downloaded it and
    > immediately had issues with getting it to run my 2.4 code. So I just
    > stuck to 2.4. However, I decided this week that I really should try to
    > get 2.5 to work. Does anyone know why code that works perfectly for
    > months in a 2.4 environment throws indentation errors in 2.5?

    No, not until you go to the bother of reproducing the problem with a
    small file, tell us what platform you are on, how you are running this
    code (IDLE, shell prompt, ...), how you installed Python 2.5
    (2.5.1?), ...

    John Machin, Jan 4, 2008

    On Jan 4, 2:06 pm, John Machin <> wrote:
    > On Jan 5, 3:56 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > When Python 2.5 first came out, I eagerly downloaded it and
    > > immediately had issues with getting it to run my 2.4 code. So I just
    > > stuck to 2.4. However, I decided this week that I really should try to
    > > get 2.5 to work. Does anyone know why code that works perfectly for
    > > months in a 2.4 environment throws indentation errors in 2.5?

    > No, not until you go to the bother of reproducing the problem with a
    > small file, tell us what platform you are on, how you are running this
    > code (IDLE, shell prompt, ...), how you installed Python 2.5
    > (2.5.1?), ...

    I'm using Windows XP, using IDLE (which was mentioned already) and I
    downloaded the 2.5.1 exe/msi file from python.org to install it.

    I have yet to find a simple one which exhibits the issue to post. It
    seems to happen to my complex files, not the simple ones.

    Sorry to bother you.

    Mike

    , Jan 4, 2008
  4. John Machin Guest

    On Jan 5, 8:05 am, wrote:
    > On Jan 4, 2:06 pm, John Machin <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 5, 3:56 am, wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > When Python 2.5 first came out, I eagerly downloaded it and
    > > > immediately had issues with getting it to run my 2.4 code. So I just
    > > > stuck to 2.4. However, I decided this week that I really should try to
    > > > get 2.5 to work. Does anyone know why code that works perfectly for
    > > > months in a 2.4 environment throws indentation errors in 2.5?

    > > No, not until you go to the bother of reproducing the problem with a
    > > small file, tell us what platform you are on, how you are running this
    > > code (IDLE, shell prompt, ...), how you installed Python 2.5
    > > (2.5.1?), ...

    > I'm using Windows XP, using IDLE (which was mentioned already)

    in the context of editing/displaying code, not executing it. Does the
    problem occur before or after you edit a file with IDLE?

    > and I
    > downloaded the 2.5.1 exe/msi file from python.org to install it.

    What you downloaded doesn't answer the question about how you
    installed it. Do you still have your 2.4 installation?

    > I have yet to find a simple one which exhibits the issue to post. It
    > seems to happen to my complex files, not the simple ones.

    So chop up a complex file ...
    Have you inspected the failing files using a text editor that can
    display tabs and spaces (e.g. PythonWin, TextPad)?

    > Sorry to bother you.

    You didn't bother me. You are bothering yourself by asking questions
    without enough information to get reasonable answers.

    John Machin, Jan 4, 2008