Taint problem with ActiveState

brian.bygland

I'm using Perl 5.6.1 on both UNIX (AIX) and Windows 2000. When I
execute the script with the -T taint check on UNIX, it runs fine. The
same script on Windows fails with the error:

C:\Documents and Settings\bxb7668\My Documents\@Junk>perl -T junk3.pl
Insecure dependency in chdir while running with -T switch at
C:/Perl/lib/Cwd.pm line 305.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/FindBin.pm line 166.
Compilation failed in require at junk3.pl line 14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at junk3.pl line 14.

The Cwd.pm module is the same on both platforms. Any idea what is going
on here?

This is my test script, junk3.pl:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

# Untainting stuff:
#
# 1) Untaint PATH
$ENV{PATH} = "";

# 2) Remove the IFS, CDPATH, ENV and BASH_ENV environment variables
delete @ENV{qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV)};

# Add the VOBTools library location to @INC
use FindBin qw($Bin); # This is line 14
use lib ("${Bin}/perllib","${Bin}/../perllib");
print "$^O \n";

exit 0;

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
I'm using Perl 5.6.1 on both UNIX (AIX) and Windows 2000. When I
execute the script with the -T taint check on UNIX, it runs fine. The
same script on Windows fails with the error:

C:\Documents and Settings\bxb7668\My Documents\@Junk>perl -T junk3.pl
Insecure dependency in chdir while running with -T switch at
C:/Perl/lib/Cwd.pm line 305.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/lib/FindBin.pm line 166.
Compilation failed in require at junk3.pl line 14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at junk3.pl line 14.

The Cwd.pm module is the same on both platforms. Any idea what is
going on here?

I have:

C:\Home> perl -MCwd -e "print $Cwd::VERSION"
3.01

C:\Home> perl -v

C:\Home> ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
This is my test script, junk3.pl:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

# Untainting stuff:
#
# 1) Untaint PATH
$ENV{PATH} = "";

# 2) Remove the IFS, CDPATH, ENV and BASH_ENV environment variables
delete @ENV{qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV)};

# Add the VOBTools library location to @INC
use FindBin qw($Bin); # This is line 14
use lib ("${Bin}/perllib","${Bin}/../perllib");
print "$^O \n";

exit 0;

Running this script produces:

C:\Home> perl -T taint.pl
MSWin32

Sinan.

bxb7668

Great! Whatever the problem is, it's been fixed. Unfortunately I and
my customers are stuck with 5.6.1 for the time being. We cannot upgrade
until the new version is approved.
Brian

A. Sinan Unur

bxb7668

(Sorry for not including the context of previous posts. I don't know
how to make Google do that)
I could download and install Perl 5.8.6 if 1) I had administrator
privilege and 2) I wanted to be fired. It is a terminatable offence to
download without permission from the wild web. Besides which my scripts
will be deployed to lots of PCs that would also need the upgrade. I
don't control that.

A. Sinan Unur

(Sorry for not including the context of previous posts. I don't know
how to make Google do that)
I could download and install Perl 5.8.6 if 1) I had administrator
privilege and 2) I wanted to be fired. It is a terminatable offence to
download without permission from the wild web. Besides which my scripts
will be deployed to lots of PCs that would also need the upgrade. I
don't control that.

You are not listening.

I suggested that you download the new version of Cwd and install it in a
private module directory for you script.

I said nothing about mucking around with the system-wide Perl
installation.

perldoc -q lib

Sinan.

Peroli

hi brian,

with reference to your script :
####################################
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

# Untainting stuff:
#
# 1) Untaint PATH
$ENV{PATH} = "";

# 2) Remove the IFS, CDPATH, ENV and BASH_ENV environment variables
delete @ENV{qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV)};

# Add the VOBTools library location to @INC
use FindBin qw($Bin); # This is line 14
use lib ("${Bin}/perllib","${Bin}/../perllib");
print "$^O \n";

exit 0;
#####################################
line 14: use FindBin qw($Bin);

$Bin needs to be untainted, like this
$Bin =~ /(.*)/; # give your specific pattern
$Bin = $1;

It will be ok then.

Peroli Sivaprakasam

Michele Dondi

There is nothing preventing you from downloading

http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/PathTools-3.02/

and installing it in a private directory.

If the fact that it is an XS module is a problem for you, a ppd for 5.6
seems to be available from

http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppmdir.html

(Sorry for not including the context of previous posts. I don't know
how to make Google do that)
I could download and install Perl 5.8.6 if 1) I had administrator
privilege and 2) I wanted to be fired. It is a terminatable offence to
download without permission from the wild web. Besides which my scripts
will be deployed to lots of PCs that would also need the upgrade. I
don't control that.

Please note that this is now what has been suggested to you. See
above!

Michele